Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Object Recognition In .NET

Hi opensta1. A few questions, are you saying that the object's Name property is dynamically generated or is it the Label that the user sees on the web page? I'm not sure but it almost sounds like QTP is creating a new instance of the same object in your Object Repository and just appending the number you are talking about.

As a side question are you using the MI .Net Add-in for QTP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The object's name property is dynamically generated in my case. Does that clarify my issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Object Recognition In .NET

Hi All,

We are using QTP v6.5 to test a .NET web-based application. For some lists on the webpage, the object ids are generated dynamically so it appends a no. (after the under-score) at the end of the object name.

The issue is that this no. changes between the time the scripts was recorded and re-played (unless we re-store the database to a same starting state). Does anybody has experienced a similar scneario? If yes, please share any thoughts/solutions.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok so the Name is dynamic, how does your application determine what to call the object? Is there a naming convention?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The convention is to append a numeric value at the end of the object name. ASP.NET does it to make it unique so we are not controlling this from our internal application. To give an example, following are properties of an instance.

type - text
    html tag - INPUT
    html id - rlQual0_cat2_DayRate_5

and some other location and size parameters that are too common to be unique. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Warning: I did this all with the IE DOM so I don't know how it would work with the dynamic coding or the Object Repository.

Take a look at the label associated with the control. Does it have the property .htmlFor?

I had to do a really convoluted thing where I would search all the labels for the text associated with the control I was trying to use. Then I would use the value in the .htmlFor property to get the ID of the control I'm trying to work with.

There is another situation in the same app where I had to take the ID for the label and then parse out the unique part. (Everything to the left of the underscore.) I then took that and combine it with the part of the INPUT control name that was consistant from run to run. This allowed me to identify the control I wanted to interact with.

It was a big pain but it dealt with the problem I had with identifying controls in a .NET web application.

MArk B.
    If you're a slave to your free associations, does it automatically become something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the response Mark. Our pages don't have any property with the name '.htmlFor'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

are there any add-ins reqd so that some third party controls can be recognized in .net application

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tantya, I am pretty sure Mercury doesn't have a seperate 3rd party add-in from the 6.5.1 .Net add-in.