Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Avoiding Recording

From the help file:
    "If you expect certain elements of your Web site to change regularly, it is a good idea to divide the steps related to changeable elements into a separate action so that it will be easy to re-record the required steps after the site is modified."

Well, I have no interest in ever re-recording anything. Links, which are made up of numbers, names, branch numbers, dates, etc., are constantly changing. The reason I use automation so I don't have to do anything twice.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get around using the tool as designed? Any white papers on the subject?

MArk B.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Avoiding Recording

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm new to QTP but what I understand it seems a good way of doing it is to parameterize the object properties of the object that change often. Which is common when testing web. Like wise you can parameterize the methods used to test these frequently changing objects.

Scott

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Please see my reply in http://www.qaforums.com/Forum20/HTML/000161.html

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The simplest way to handle dynamic content is to used regular expressions(RE) to describe the text that is changing. You didn't describe what or where you are checking things, so I haven't added a specific example, but you can use REs for object properties, for example if the title of a web page is changing, you can use them for the text in object verification points, and you can use them if you are write the text of dynamically changing text to an output variable, and have code that does specific checks.

- js

------------------