SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

how does AQT gives the different logic name to same object?

Can anyone explain how AQT gives different logic names to the same page depending on the object clicked.
    For eg: In yahoo page if I click on email it records as
    browser("yahoo").page("yahoo_1").Weblink("email"). click
    If I click on some other object on the same page sometimes it records page("yahoo_2") like that.
    So pl. explain how it assigns this indexing to the page.
    Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: how does AQT gives the different logic name to same object?

Any luck on this one?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: how does AQT gives the different logic name to

This is one of life's great mysteries, right up there with "Is D. B. Cooper alive, and if so, where is he?". And as the date of the original post you have dredged up indicates, this question has been asked for years. QTP 9.5 still does the same thing.

But, starting with QTP 9.0, you can now drag and drop an object recorded to a duplicate page/window or a page/window recorded to duplicate Browser/application parent back into the original.

2 cents ON
    I recommend that those who use an OR (which I do for most clients) avoid "recording steps in the test case" in order to add OR pages and controls. This means that you need to (a) add the objects explicitly and then (b) code statements by hand. While this sounds time consuming, if you measure productivity over the life of the test script, and certainly over the life of a full suite of test scripts, your productivity will actually improve because script maintenance will be vastly improved when using a single set of OR objects.
    2 cents OFF

-Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To avoid duplicate pages(like Page_1,Page_2,Page_3, etc..) in the object repository you need to change the following setting.
    Tools -> Options -> Web -> Page/Frame options -> Select Different test object descriptions radio button(both the options).
    -Reddy

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Which version(s) does this work for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It's applicable to all QTP versions so far.

When you install QTP, by default it gets installed with option as Different URL's or change in data transfer(Tools -> Options -> Web -> Page/Frame Options -> Create a new Page object for, with this setting QTP adds different pages to OR for each new url that you navigate in the application during recording.
    -Reddy

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    It's applicable to all QTP versions so far.

When you install QTP, by default it gets installed with option as Different URL's or change in data transfer(Tools -> Options -> Web -> Page/Frame Options -> Create a new Page object for, with this setting QTP adds different pages to OR for each new url that you navigate in the application during recording.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I don't think this is the issue. Rather when you go to the same URL and record some additional controls (on a different day/in another QTP session...) QTP often creates page_2, page_3, etc. for the same URL. I am not convinced that your suggestion will resolve this problem--unless you are telling QTP to record ALL controls on a single page, which is surely not what I (and I suspect others) want to do.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

...but I dont think that is any big/major issue.
    to avoid this tools to add duplicates, needs to check whether that Object is already present in the OR using each and every Description and property
    <u>evil effects </u>
    1) Time Consuming
    2) after adding some object if user manually change the property e.g RegEx , index etc In this case this will act as a different Objects then original one.

and even myself if i use OR in my test, I dont record test in order to add object. I Click on the Object and Add, do some changes like regEx, values etc if require some new property to add I do that too then I decide that do i need to keep smart Identification On or Off and then give the proper shorten logical name. then i rearrange Parent/Page or parent group of that object in OR by using Drag and Drop ..

highlight it confirm the stability and now it is ready to Use

hope this will Help !
    Thanks,
    Manish Bansal

Checkout Blog Page At
    http://www.softtechlabs.com