Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Question UFT, web add in, and XPath. Does anyone here work with this method?

Hello friends.

Does anyone work with UFT's web add in and the XPath property?
    In the object spy, there is a XPath option. When I look at it, it is nowhere like the xpath copied, while using the "copy xpath" method, from the browser's built in "Inspect Element" feature.
    So, could anyone please explain how this all works?

How a short xpath from the browsers developer tools, is seen as a super large hierarchical string in UFT ??
    Example:

//*[@id="z_v8_g5!cave"] - from the browser

//DIV[@id="z_qu_g"]/DIV[1]/TABLE[2]/TBODY[1]/TR[1]/TD[3]/DIV[1]/TABLE[1]/TBODY[1]/TR[1]/TD[1]/DIV[1]/TABLE[1]/TBODY[1]/TR[1]/TD[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/TABLE[1]/TBODY[1]/TR[3]
    /TD[1]/TABLE[1]/TBODY[1]/TR[3]/TD[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/DIV[1]/TABLE[1]/TBODY[1]/TR[11]/TD[1]/DIV[1] - from UFT 14.02

Can someone explain this??
    Last edited by NoUse4aName; 03-19-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Force line wrap.
    If it's working... don't touch it!

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    It's a difference in how they create the xpaths. The one from your browser found the ID for the tag you wanted and does a search for any tag with that ID. The one from UFT found a top-level DIV tag and walked through all the objects on the page down to the tag you want. Either one would get you the same object (assuming that the top-level DIV and path to the tag you want doesn't change each time the page loads). I highly recommend against using the UFT generated XPaths, though, because things do change.
    Dennis Belew

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by belewda View Post
    It's a difference in how they create the xpaths. The one from your browser found the ID for the tag you wanted and does a search for any tag with that ID. The one from UFT found a top-level DIV tag and walked through all the objects on the page down to the tag you want. Either one would get you the same object (assuming that the top-level DIV and path to the tag you want doesn't change each time the page loads). I highly recommend against using the UFT generated XPaths, though, because things do change.
    You seriously recommend that extremely brittle overly complicated xpath over just an available id?

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Nope, I recommend against using that.
    Dennis Belew

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Lol my bad.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Well, honestly, I guess it depends on your level of masochism. If that's your thing, UFT-generated xpaths are for you. I won't judge.
    Dennis Belew

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Yeah just generally speaking identifiers generated automatically by whatever automation tool generally aren't the best and require manual tweaking. Not unique to UFT or xpath method.
    Last edited by NoUse4aName; 03-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Often the short Xpaths will uniquely identify objects, however I use htlm id as the default, where not populated I use other props such as name, value, innertext.

Xpath is lower down the pecking order and usually only used when an object is fully dynamic and you are forced to use some other method of identification.

Mark Smith.