Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Key Word Data Driven down sides?

How many people went down the path of creating a key word data driven solution in QTP, UFT, Selenium or any other automated tool?

I have found it to cut down on code maintenance.

I noticed that the keywords in a data sheet, database or something else need to have a way to have branching, data passing,
    and looping.

Of those who have gone down this path did you find it to be helpful and successful? Is there a better way?

I'm in favor of working this way. Are others against it? I'm looking for opinions so that I am not working in my own concepts.

Can anyone recommend solutions so that I don't have to write another one from scratch? Are there solutions available for a price or shareware where the keywords, data, object recognition are abstracted to different workbooks or sheets?

Thanks,

Kevin
    When in Florida, Don't Tampa with the code. I made this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I worked with a Excel KDF few years but my requirements outgrew its capability.

I'm now working on a native UFT framework.

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Mark native UFT Framework do you mean using Actions and calling a function library for common tasks?

Thanks,

Kevin

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I use to favor keyword driven frameworks (KDF), but these days I don't advise using them unless business people are involved. (and there are 5x more business people maintaining the tests than there are programmers)

One of the biggest problem with KDF is they are very hard to maintain structurally. They are easy to modify on small functional level, but when it comes to structural reorganization that happens once every 2 years, they become a huge pain. Because business does not use consistent language like engineers do, you'll find keyword naming to be very inconsistent among firms who use KDFs. Where engineers will understand the Information Architecture (IA) and use naming conventions named after the programming patterns used (ex: Factory vs. Builder, or Service vs. Provider), these help other programers develop on the code base quickly.

A KDF, they learning curve to becoming productive is much higher. You'll first have to learn the lingo used in the KDF tests, (since there is no accepted standard in KDF conventions), then you'll have to learn the patterns and anti patterns that evolved in the firm. In code you have standard code doc comments and method signatures. A keyword is ambiguous to datatypes and the onus is on the user to learn the capabilities and limits of the keyword, instead of the writer.
    Last edited by dlai; 05-19-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

5. Thanks a.irvine thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bklabel1 View Post
    Mark native UFT Framework do you mean using Actions and calling a function library for common tasks?

Thanks,

Kevin
    I use one action that acts as a driver, there is no code in the driver other than calls to external functions.
    I use custom reporting (HTML report with embedded screen shot links)
    I have separate function libraries for code that interacts with the UI, code that performs general stuff like date processing.
    I have an associated library file where I store global variables that I want to use in functions (so I don't need to pass them in the call)

It's more a way of an approach than a traditional 'framework'

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Its hard to say but in general the lowest level is .click(), .set(value), .get(value), ... and the more complex grids/tables

So when you start with
    * a. record and playback you get nice lenghty source code where you can do your maintenance with a decent editor doing find/replace quick result , hard to maintain
    then you grow to
    * b. modules where you have functions that do generic things
    then you grow to
    * c. A more logical way of grouping and most naturally these groups of objects people start to call keywords reusable for business people
    then you grow to do
    * d. more datadriven repeating same steps with sets of data
    and on top of d
    * e. you implement your keyword/datamanagement in more nice looking UI tools where first step is excel so business people can group themselves in "natural" keywords slow result, easier to maintain

* And BDD/TDD is initially plain english where you probably grow into more "structured" english which are again some kind of (resuable) keywords.
    And for those doing Gherkin there is a group of people that tend to make keywords like I enter field, I click field, ......

So testers seems to be in the middle of Business people and Programmer and understand both worlds.
    Business tend to like tools without " ; , ( ) and UI should feel like excel whereas programmers feel fine as long as its plain text where the editor can find nicely things back

Is there a better way? So far I feel short term result with record/playback/function libraries gives you result(s) within weeks whereas making your framework and defining your way of working takes you 3+ months which is in the end much better in maintenance.

I have not seen tools that are capable of having 1 model shown to 3 types of users (business, tester, developer) but
    * we try to show our test(s) visually as a flowchart to business with the keywords
    * testers we just give the excelsheets with keywords
    * developers we teach to have their functions equal to the keyword and stop camelcasing and removing vowels in their keywords.
    As such all people can learn from each other and work together.
    Last edited by elwinwildschut; Today at 04:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Appreciated feedback

David, Mark, Elwin,
    I appreciate the time that you took to make thought out answers.
    it interests me that there are not popular vendors selling pre-written KW/DD frameworks in UFT. If there are I only know of one and they are not famous.
    Thanks,
    Kevin