Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Kevin (remember me?)

With LeanFT, can we actually create UFT scripts in C# without additionally using Selenium (or any tool)? In other words, can I use just this tool by itself so that it works just like QTP/UFT but I can now code in C# instead of VBscript?

Peter (I'm always asking if you remember me , ha ha)

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    LeanFT looks to be using Selenium under the hood basically. I do not get the impression that it will run existing QTP/UFT scripts.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Per the information available from HP Discover (not in the CDA booth) UFT will not execute LeanFT scripts, but I'm not sure about vice versa.

LeanFT is an SDK that can be incorporated (i.e. "using HP.LeanFT.SDK") into VisualStudio and Eclipse IDEs to support development of test scripts in C# and Java in those IDEs. It will support some of the technologies supported by full UFT, but not necessarily all. I recall that Web and .NET are among the supported technologies, but there were more. Also, LeanFT won't have the ability to record a script. It will have an Object Spy. It can create an Object Repository (though they changed the name to Application Model). And it can use an OR created by full UFT.
    Trudy C
    (Opinions and information contained in this post are wholly my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterKlim View Post

With LeanFT, can we actually create UFT scripts in C# without additionally using Selenium (or any tool)?
    It's not using Selenium under the hood. Under the hood is the UFT SDK.
    You can use LeanFT by itself and it does not require any other tools other than your favourite IDE and language (C# or Java..).
    Regards,

Alex
    ... just another Tester ...

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by tclasp View Post
    Per the information available from HP Discover (not in the CDA booth) UFT will not execute LeanFT scripts, but I'm not sure about vice versa.

LeanFT is an SDK that can be incorporated (i.e. "using HP.LeanFT.SDK") into VisualStudio and Eclipse IDEs to support development of test scripts in C# and Java in those IDEs. It will support some of the technologies supported by full UFT, but not necessarily all. I recall that Web and .NET are among the supported technologies, but there were more. Also, LeanFT won't have the ability to record a script. It will have an Object Spy. It can create an Object Repository (though they changed the name to Application Model). And it can use an OR created by full UFT.
    Hi, HP LeanFT cannot run UFT scripts. You need to convert them to be used with LeanFT. Gallop solutions has introduced 'QuickLean' tool in HP Discover which converts UFT scripts to LeanFT with ease. Joe Colantonio has written about that in his blog post UFT ? A Sneak Peek at Unified Functional Testing 12.5 - Joe Colantonio - Succeeding with Test Automation Awesomeness. I?ll show you how!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Users on our site IT Central Station have reviewed the beta if you want to see what they thought. Joe Colantino actually wrote this review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Lean FT will give you the capability to integrate selenium operations into your FT tests.

The result is a hybrid HP-Open Source solution that theoretically, should yield something greater than the sum of their parts.

For example, maybe some of you will want to use Selenium RemoteWebDriver to complete some / all of a workflow, but use the reporter object and ALM integration so that you can keep your automated results alongside your manual results. I'm not too sure if I'd get excited about having Object Spy in Visual Studio or Eclipse because I'm more of a firebug person nowadays.

HP's Performance and Quality Validation Software has a big image problem in that it is not viewed as Agile-friendly, and consequently, it has been losing a lot of market share to vendors who don't suffer from this perception. The basic goal of this is to keep HP relevant in the automated testing community by giving their customers' developers the capability to write automated tests using modern software development languages while participating in an agile workflow. If they can come up with a customer-friendly licensing arrangement that doesn't price their customers out of concurrent execution, then they might have something compelling here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Are the languages restricted to C# & Java only?

Mark Smith.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    All the info I've seen so far says that it is restricted to C# and Java. There's almost nothing, other than the original press release, on the HP site now. That seems odd since it's supposed to land this month.
    Dennis Belew

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    It's C# and Java only.

It's also available now: Introducing LeanFT
    Useful webinar (depending on your timezone): Shift Left with Lean Functional Testing by HP - Vivit Worldwide

;-)
    Regards,

Alex
    ... just another Tester ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast