Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

LoadAndRunAction Memory not being released by QTP/UFT causing systemOutOfMemory

Hi All.
    My situation is as follows:
    - PC is windows 7 64bit with 8GM RAM (so no "you don;t have enough RAM excuses from HP!)
    - Just upgraded from QTP 10 to UFT 12.02

My solution, that has worked perfectly for 5+ years, is heavily reliant on the use of LoadAndRunAction...
    Basically, I have a main "test" that consumes manual tests.... and calls LoadAndRunAction for each step.
    My understanding is that every time LoadAndRunAction is used, the entire test of which the action resides in is loaded into memory and never released.
    This occurs every time LoadAndRunAction is used, even though the test is already in memory!!!!!!
    So eventually UFT crashes!
    I have proved this by writing a simple loop that just uses LoadAndRunAction several hundred time which crashes UFT in minutes.

There are workarounds like restarting QTP and continuing the run...(a bit of work, as there are objects in memory that are shared between tests...), changing the solutions architecture (more work, and last resort)

Any ideas/solutions? can I somehow force UFT to release memory?

Cheers

AutoPunk

PS. I'm waiting on HP to get back to me with a solution.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I think you're stuck with occasionally restarting QTP and waiting on HP for a solution. Longer term I would recommend against using actions and replicate the same functionality in function libraries. For years QTP has had overhead issues with Actions. Using 1 controlling Test/Action that dynamically loads function libraries for the same sort of architecture it sounds like you are already using is much more lightweight and faster.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUse4aName View Post
    I think you're stuck with occasionally restarting QTP and waiting on HP for a solution. Longer term I would recommend against using actions and replicate the same functionality in function libraries. For years QTP has had overhead issues with Actions. Using 1 controlling Test/Action that dynamically loads function libraries for the same sort of architecture it sounds like you are already using is much more lightweight and faster.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Long term, I will likely move all my actions to QFL's. It's a bit of work, and I will need to change the way I error handle... Currently, if a critical error is encountered, i use ExitAction("error message") to return control back to my Main Test... I would need to make these all Exit Function instead, etc.

Now I know why I hesitated to move to v11.5 and v12!

Cheers.

AutoPunk
    R.I.P. Tony Sly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    AutoPunk,
    I have had issues with ExitAction and ExitActionIteration up to UFT 11.52. It did not leave the action.
    I let HP know about it. They had tickets open for a few versions and are aware of the issue.
    I don't know if it has been fixed by 12.02.
    Thanks,
    Kevin