Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP doesn't recognize desktop icons

Hey QTP gurus,

So my program worked fine on Win7 32 bit, but I had to move to a Win7 64 bit machine.

I installed the 64 bit patch 0699, and also 0709, 005.

First thing my program does is try to run an icon on the desktop to start my program.

Here's the problem:
    msgbox Window("Program Manager").WinListView("SysListView32").GetROProper ty("items count")

--Returns '9' as it should.

msgbox Window("Program Manager").WinListView("SysListView32").GetROProper ty("all items")

--Returns nothing.

So it is telling me I have 9 icons, but I have no icons.

If I try to Record the icon click (or drag and drop), it records nothing.

Googling this, I see several people reporting this in version 9.5, but they never reported an answer.

I am using QTP 11.0. I do not have QC or any of the other related programs.

Desktop! Not Browser! (I seem to be the only person left testing C++ applications...)

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Are you testing Windows' ability to display icons? I would think just issuing a systemutil.run statement with the path would be a better approach. Think you would have to hit up HP support for this if code worked fine in 32 bit. Possibly try a clean uninstall/reinstall.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Trying to run the icon

No, I'm trying to run the application via the icon.

So the actual code that is failing is:
    Window("Program Manager").WinListView("SysListView32").Select Parameter("IconName")

But it can't find Parameter("IconName"), because it thinks there are no icons.

Or rather, it knows there are 9 icons, but it can't identify any of their names.

Yah, support would be great, but we don't have support. I don't know what it costs, but I'm guessing for the 10 minutes per year of support we need, they probably charge a bijillion dollars or so. (Since a $200 program costs $5000 or more, yah, support ain't gonna be cheap).

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I could try the systemutil.run thing too when I get desperate. Just weird that my code works on one machine but not the other.

I was hoping someone would tell me a patch fixes it, but the patches on the 'good' machine seem to be irrelevant, like, "fixes Firefox issues" when we never use Firefox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Maybe try the repair utility on the QTP install disk. I wish I could be of more assistance here.

I have also had trouble in the past where I change one part of my environment and then WinRunner/QTP/UFT stops working. I would spend days uninstalling/installing/repairing/playing with patches. Some times I tried again on a fresh machine and everything just started to work.

I wish HP products had self diagnostics so it can check that everything is OK. It could come with a build in sample app that the test tools uses to try many commands and give a report of what might be wrong with the install.

Thanks,

Kevin