| || |
Localization Testing using QTP/UFT
I have done localization testing before on different languages (Spanish, German, Italian, Chinese, etc.) using SilkTest (the English version). Katakana or languages with double-byte characters do require a different version of SilkTest.
Is it the same in QTP/UFT or do you have to have a localized version of the tool?
Currently, we don't do any localization testing but, maybe in the near future.
Thanks for your input.
Gilbert I've tested an online travel site that had English, French & German versions of the same site. Using the following I was able to support all three sites with one set of common scripts and a set of functions / definitions for the non-compatible parts (screen text, button names, country specific regulatory requirements).
To enable this the dev teams agreed to use 'html ids' to identify all non-language specific objects (e.g. WebEdit, WebList, WebRadioGroup etc.)
I had 3 files (1 for each locale) to hold language specific object defintions) As an example the Continue button would be defined in the UK, FR, DE file as follows:
oWbContinue = "Value:=Continue"
oWbContinue = "Value:=Contineur"
oWbContinue = "Value:=Weiter"
The definition files would be loaded at runtime based on an External Environment variable containing UK, FR or DO
The button click code would be:
Thus the same line of code would work for all 3 locales
I had 3 function libraries to hold non-common processes (In this case each locale had different Insurance requirements)
Again depending on locale the appropriate code containing function would be called.
Addendum to above post:
For locale specific characters (e.g. German umlauts etc.) I used the ANSI character equivalent e.g. Chr(228)
DEtext = "Germnan" & Chr(228) & "character"
Thank you so much for your input, Mark.
Glad to know that there is no need for a localized version of QTP/UFT.
I am not so sure since, when downloading a QTP/UFT patch or two before, I thought I saw similar patches for German or French version.
That is basically what we did in localization testing using SilkTest in one company years ago where variables are used for tags and depending on the language to be tested, a definition file containing all translated text is loaded. AUT we had is a Windows app so we used the Windows ID for object identification.