Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP does not record on Notepad

I have QTP v11. I type into the editor in Notepad and then stop the record. QTP records nothing.

I can add objects into the OR and get QTP to highlight the object. But it will not record anything.

I do this with the "Record and run test on any open Window-based application" radio button selected.

HP support just told me that QTP does not support Notepad. "Update to UFT" LOL! They are really getting on my nerves. I am having so many issues with the tool, and the support team. Don't get me started

I just want to record so that I can train my team to use the tool. I know I can use the CreateObject function, but that is later in the training course. And I really don't need to train with Notepad at all, but I am just fed up with HP baloney and wanted to hear what you guys think.

Advanced Member venu.adhikesevan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Peter QTP 11 can't record the notepad actions(Same happened to me), however you can write few scripts to perform basic actions on Notepad like writing someting in wineditor or select menu to get started.

Window("Notepad").WinEditor("Edit").Type "this is a notepad text"

If you are expecting to get start your training with record and play then you can use flight application, which is a default software installed with QTP.
    Venu
    Today is always better than Tomorrow
    My Blog
    My LinkedIn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hmmm..... I have just loaded a machine with 11.0 with The following patches installed
    QTPWEB_00090 & QTPWEB_00129

I started recording, launched Notepad via the Windows Run prompt and recorded my actions which QTP recorded (and I can play them back:

Code:
    SystemUtil.Run "C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe","","C:\Users\msm17",""
    Window("Notepad").Activate
    Window("Notepad").WinEditor("Edit").SetCaretPos 0,0
    Window("Notepad").WinEditor("Edit").Type "Notepad....."
    Window("Notepad").WinEditor("Edit").Type  micReturn 
    Window("Notepad").WinEditor("Edit").Type "Notepad....."
    Window("Notepad").WinEditor("Edit").Type  micReturn
    Mark Smith

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    When I was training people on automation tools, I always used Calculator. It's on every windows machine and it's something people are familiar with. Just a thought.
    Dennis Belew

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by venu.adhikesevan View Post
    Hi Peter QTP 11 can't record the notepad actions(Same happened to me), however you can write few scripts to perform basic actions on Notepad like writing someting in wineditor or select menu to get started.

Window("Notepad").WinEditor("Edit").Type "this is a notepad text"

If you are expecting to get start your training with record and play then you can use flight application, which is a default software installed with QTP.
    I started using Notepad AFTER the Website version of flight navigation tutorial "Mercury Tours" started crashing (working with support to fix that too). The tutorial documentation only works with the web version.
    Yeah, I don't really need to use Notepad. Just this annoying thing I can't ignore until i figure it out, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Thanks Mark.

I tried recording beginning with the opening Notepad using the start menu, but it doesn't even record the SystemUtil.Run line either.
    I don't have the patches you have, but afraid if I install it then it may break something that already works - i got enough patches installed for fixes already! Ha ha

QTPNET_00055 for HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 QFE
    QTP_00709 for HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 QFE
    QTPWEB_00073 for HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 QFE
    QTPWEB_00078 for HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 QFE
    QTPWEB_00085 for HP QuickTest Professional 11.00 QFE
    QTPNET_00120 for HP QuickTest Professional 11.00
    QTP_00940 for HP QuickTest Professional 11.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I had to have notepad already opened to record. After recording, I added the SystemUtil.Run and the script runs fine.
    Patience is like bread I say.... I ran out of that yesterday.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I'd suggest just teaching them to google Hello World instead of using one of the MS products which as you are finding can be quirky to automate.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    May I ask why you are trying to record on notepad? If you want to type something in there, why don't you use the shell object like this:

Dim WshShell
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

WshShell.Run("notepad.exe")
    WshShell.AppActivate("notepad.exe")
    wait 1
    WshShell.SendKeys("Hello World")