Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I'm using the xml output and adding values to it and modifying the xsl to create a new report to give me exactly what I want - will forward you the xsl and the methos of outputting new nodes etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by jloyzaga View Post
    I'm using the xml output and adding values to it and modifying the xsl to create a new report to give me exactly what I want - will forward you the xsl and the methos of outputting new nodes etc..
    Jloyzaga,
    Please share this with us once you make some progress. I attempted this path but did not have enough background to know how to modify the xsl.

Thanks,

Kevin
    When in Florida, Don't Tampa with the code. I made this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Using Altova StyleVision. Planning to make things dynamic like logos etc to make it portable but right now its all about learning this stuff - gee its made more complex than it needs to be. I think I'll also explain how the report is generated within UFT so that its no longer a mystery...

4. Thanks a.irvine thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by jloyzaga View Post
    Using Altova StyleVision. Planning to make things dynamic like logos etc to make it portable but right now its all about learning this stuff - gee its made more complex than it needs to be. I think I'll also explain how the report is generated within UFT so that its no longer a mystery...
    This is one approach to bypass the uft pdf report creation but it will be my last resort - will keep trying to fathom out the xml mods I want to make
    Basically you need to put your test relevant data (input, expected, meta data, requirements, etc.) in a convenient format such as an Excel sheet which you can import at runtime. Then each test can read this data and write all execution (actual) results to the same DataTable at another column (instead of calling Reporter.ReportEvent you call your own LogEvent function, which may also call Reporter.ReportEvent for the sake of completeness). At the end of the test run you export the DataTable sheet to an Excel. Finally, you parse the Excel with a script which formats the raw data as you wish, for example as HTML.
    ----Not sure I want to do it this way as I need to employ a pdf generator etc etc. But this is how a colleague has done it
    I'll keep looking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Found a way round it

Quote Originally Posted by bklabel1 View Post
    Jloyzaga,
    Please share this with us once you make some progress. I attempted this path but did not have enough background to know how to modify the xsl.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin,
    The actual report is created using QTPReport.exe and this converts the Results.xml using the .xsl file (whether its the detail one or the short one) and the output is an html file. The xsl actually formats the html file so REALLY its just playing with the html WITHIN the xsl. I did that and it was partially successful. Partially because I had to add a few variables into the XML and it didn't let me as I could not do that without modifying the code for QTPReport.exe. So what did I do? I just decided I'd output my own html the way I wanted it by parsing the xml and adding whatever info I needed POST XML creation. Seems familiar? The difference is I was able to create a pdf file output from it by running a python off the shelf program called weanyprint that just converts the html to pdf. It may seem like I opted for the easier path by doing it after UFT was finished. I was able to BYPASS the xml processing of my new variable by actually outputting to the xml whatever text/values I needed then parsed the xml after the script was finished as I ran a standalone script to to that and then ran the weasy script to convert the thing.

I am now trying to work out how to automatically do this at the end of the script so that the xml is already there to parse. You gave me a location of the xml while its being built but I couldn't find it otherwise I'd just use that as the last action of my script run - so there is work yet but I'm sure I can let UFT gve me everything I want without having to play with the xsl and still get a pdf report without storing values in excel etc etc.

Has this helped or confused you even more? Essentially I've just bypassed QTPReport.exe

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12