Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Question What's your framework?

I'm curious to find out what types of frameworks everyone's working with these days.

We've got a keyword driven framework that has a GUI over the front of it to allow non-technical users to build scripts. I'm guessing the data-driven modular approach is still fairly popular. Is anyone working with BPT, do you still use QC to execute your suite?

I'm interested to find out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Similar approach with Excel as the front-end. No BPT or QC involvement.

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Believe it or not, sometimes I find that frameworks slow me down if the requirements are simple.
    I do find frameworks to be extremely useful in most cases.
    If the requirement is to test several flows, I found it better to use the actions in QTP. If something is done repetitively, I put it in a re-usable action or a function.
    The action names show the workflow. One benefit to the client was lower skilled people could manage the code without having to learn the framework.
    I'm not against using frameworks, but I still think that there are limited situations where it is better not to use one.
    Thanks,

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I have a config file with a list of reusable actions and also directories for object repositories and data tables. I organize this by line of business (I'm in insurance, so auto tests have a seperate config file from home) I have a utils file with all my functions. I use Excel data sheets for the action calls, this way I just hand off an Excel spreadsheet to a business person and have them fill it out. I don't use BPT, I do use QC for running tests ( I do have one little test set I do from windows scheduler) All my repositories, function libraries and data tables are on my network. Over the years, there have been various problems with files stored in QC, so once bitten, twice shy.
    Patience is like bread I say.... I ran out of that yesterday.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    In the past I've used a homegrown csv file keyword framework (which I later ported to test complete). This was pretty helpful when we wanted to port all our tests from ATF to QTP to TestComplete, to automation built into the app. They keyword framework worked on the concept of ScreenObjects. Each Screen had keywords associated with it, and separate object map. It worked great for keeping business level logic separate.

If you're not concerned about porting between automation tools, I think using their keyword facility is better since you'll have a nice UI around it and not worry as much about exception and error handling code. But I do recommend creating a simple lightweight abstraction layer that goes between business level logic and low level UI automation atoms. You'll probably want to do your UI automation atoms using code, and keep your business level logic in keywords.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Frameworks...

It's been a while since I posted here. I work in the Ranorex world at the moment and I am happy to say away from QTP....

My old framwork demo put here many years ago still exists in this forum it served it's purpose as stepping stone to better things. I did work on a framework project with a mate that we got to a commercial product stage. For a number of reasons it never got off the ground 2 of those reasons was myself and my mate departing the company that we worked for at the time.

It's a shame because the Framework Tool was pretty good.

We had a write once methodology ie: the test case was written in the framework from here you could ouptut it as a manual test case in Word, it could be output QTP as a stand alone automated test, it could be output to QC and run via QC. Individual tests could be built into modules to create larger tests this could also be output to word, QTP or QC.

The centralised nature of the framework made editing tests easy as single edit updated all test assets (not printed versions)

Non automators could write tests all the code for the actual test execution was created at runtime the execution speed was a fair bit faster that normal QTP scripts.

I see little bits of the overall methodology in other frameworks but I have yet to see anyone put it all together in one package
    Last edited by ifraser; 10-08-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
    Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
    World Wide Shipping.

http://mowogman.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I have done a few builds over time:

Client Requested "QTP Only" version with keyword/data driven from excel and all reporting out to the excel sheets. No QC allowed even though the product was available!

My go-to is a QC/QTP (or RQM/RFT) hybrid where the manual tester is put in control of data and test set creation based on a supplied suite of transaction based test scripts. These test scripts are designed to follow the multiple pathways of a single transaction so the Manual tester can then just add data (or not) to drive the execution of the scenario.

Seems to be pretty well liked by clients.

Installing UFT as we speak so I am excited to see what I can break with that

Advanced Member venu.adhikesevan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Combination of Keyword/Data Driven framework. Excel Input and Html Output.
    I'm planning to implement GUI approach in next framework development.
    In many cases we might not require framework like simple repetitive task but certainly for regressions we need framework, because usually there would be changes like GUI/object Properties/new features that impact scripts/object Rep will be a night mare if we maintain individual scripts or Tests.
    Venu
    Today is always better than Tomorrow
    My Blog
    My LinkedIn