Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP 11 to UFT 11.5 Upgrade. Worth it or not?

So, we are on QTP 11 at the moment. And, all we are hearing is that new direction of HP is going to be UFT. As a matter of fact, few defects that we have found in QTP 11 (i.e. Multiple breakpoint debugging crash) were not fixed in QTP 11 but they're fixed in the UFT.

So, here is bit background:

We own bunch of QTP 11 licenses
    We got no budget for this year behind automation

The sales rep from HP told us that in order to upgrade from QTP 11 to UFT, we have to pay price per license. It didn't make any sense to me because in the past whenever we upgraded QTP from one version to another, we never paid any upgrade price.

That said, what is the deal with UFT? Do we have to pay the price just to upgrade QTP to UFT? Or upgrade is totally free? Also, is it worth upgrading? If answer is yes then it is worth upgrading to what version of UFT?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    UFT has only one version UFT11.5 ( with patches , that will make it UFT11.52).
    It depends on your requirement and existing framework. There are definitely added values in UFT ( you can find product/new feature section) but its your ROI which need to decide call.
    N.B. UFT still supports same VBScript and most of QTP "things"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    OK but what about pricing aspects? I heard that for only UFT upgrade there is no pricing involved but if Service Test and Mobile Test modules are included then there is upgrade cost. Is it true?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Are you currently paying for a support contract?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Yes, we currently pay for maintenance and support of QTP 11.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I guess API test requires no extra fee now. Support for mobile may cost you extra.
    What is you infra and architecture ( summary)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Since you have current maintenance and support for QTP 11, upgrade to UFT 11.5x (minus the API test) is free.
    Service Test you mentioned is now called API Test and is not free. Mobile Test is not part of UFT 11.5x so for sure, you have to pay for this add-in.
    If you do any testing on Windows 8 and the latest versions of Firefox and Google Chrome, the decision for you to upgrade will be a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    There is a cost involved to upgrade it to UFT since all the existing licenses will also upgrade to GOLABAL Licenses automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan_TheMyth_TheLegend View Post
    So, we are on QTP 11 at the moment. And, all we are hearing is that new direction of HP is going to be UFT. As a matter of fact, few defects that we have found in QTP 11 (i.e. Multiple breakpoint debugging crash) were not fixed in QTP 11 but they're fixed in the UFT.

The sales rep from HP told us that in order to upgrade from QTP 11 to UFT, we have to pay price per license. It didn't make any sense to me because in the past whenever we upgraded QTP from one version to another, we never paid any upgrade price.

That said, what is the deal with UFT? Do we have to pay the price just to upgrade QTP to UFT? Or upgrade is totally free? Also, is it worth upgrading? If answer is yes then it is worth upgrading to what version of UFT?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I just checked with HP and this is the answer from them:

There is no cost to upgrade your QTP to UFT.

Remember that UFT is the fusion of QTP and Service Test(ST)

So you can use GUI test from UFT with same license you have for QTP.

The only diference here is that you will not be able to use the API testing of UFT which is ST.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan_TheMyth_TheLegend View Post

Thanks a lot in advance.
    You can always compare the different PAM .pdf files for each version so you can see what are supported. If you are testing applications developed in .Net 4 or .Net 4.5 or apps containing many Custom objects, then I would say that it is worth upgrading to the latest version of UFT. The "What's New" or readme files will also give you clues on whether it is worth for you to upgrade or not. Just keep in mind that once your Dev Team starts using newer technology, QTP 11 may not support the newer objects.
    Licensing have been explained already in previous posts. The only thing I noticed not mentioned is that current QTP licenses will work with UFT 11.5x or 12.01 or you can always ask for newer licenses if you are current on your maintenance agreement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast