| || |
- 1 Post By KiNGHAI
Remote Desktop[RDP] - Web Application - Automation of functional testing
Hi Wanted to understand on the below scenario:
1. Testing tool is installed in ONE Machine. Testing tool could be a QTP/ HP UFT. [Any other tool can also be recommended]
2. Machine ONE doesnot have the application to test.
3. Web application like a ERP is available in another machine TWO. Machine TWO Doesnot have the Testing tool.
4. From Machine ONE, remotely connect to Machine TWO and access the web application.
Web application at the ERP can be like a CRM, HRMS, Finance,Payroll etc.
These can be from different product suites of SAP, Peoplesoft,JEdwards,EBS and so on.
Any one would be available at TWO.
Different terminals from where different versions of each of the versions of the PS/SAP etc would be accessible and each of them would become the Machine TWO which needs to be remotely connected from Machine ONE.
Testing requirement is at regular intervals of time, there needs to be periodic patches, customization fixes that needs to be done on the installed ERPs. Test for Regression on the past existing features.
Given the above automating scenario, please suggest the possibility of automation of functional testing for Regression by connecting to a Remote application. What are the challenges and the success stories and which of the automation tool/feature would support these kind of regression testing. Also direct to any URL or link which has similar help/documentation. Thank you.
Is the test tool available on machine TWO?
You are asking for a solution, not a test tool.
How much your organization can afford for the test tool? If possible, please try with ALM + UFT (as you are asking in QTP/UFT forum). UFT has good support for SAP, PeopleSoft, Siebel (which I saw used to use to develop enterprise application)
remote invocation can be done by any tool.
You need to do ROI analysis and understand the most suitable tool for you.
POC will also help you.
Thanks for looking at the query. Machine two would not have any automation tool installed. This machine two has the web application that is accessible thru its browser.
Your point is true. Looking out for a solution or any past experiences of implementing any tool where in this scenario is put to use. Since ALM +UFT [QTP ] has a wide implemenation base, wanted to learn from the gurus on this particular Remote Web Application access scenario. Thank you.
I'm not Guru, but trying to help you to figure out the tool you need
1. I'm familiar with HP QTP/UFT + QC/ALM than the other suite, so my suggestion will be on those tools.
2. In your bullet points, machine ONE doesn't have application under test but have the tool, machine TWO does have application under test, but doesn't have the tool. What is the point of this? QTP/UFT cannot do that if you don't have the tool installed on the machine that have application under test. Execution engine needs to run locally. If you wish to run on machine TWO without the test tool, you need to find a tool that can install execution engine separately with the tool.
Thanks a lot for the reply and the clarity. This helps to think on other strategies. For this matter ,other tools also would not be able to take care of this scneraio.
Tags for this Thread