Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Broken Link Testing

I have web pages with about 30 URL links. I need to test if they are broken.

I know about page check points and having it check if the links exist.

I'm not sure if QTP is checking if the links are broken or if the URL link exists on the page.

Mercury had this cool tool about 12 years back. It might have been called Astra. It would run through a page finding the links. Then it drew a graphic that looked like fire works. It would remember the URLS and what should be on the target page.

On playback, it would go through the links looking for the broken ones.

Does any recognize what this product is and if it still exists?

Can any one describe a way to check for broken links?

Thanks,

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Onward thru the fog...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    We downloaded it and are trying it now. So far we saw the Sleuth create hundreds of URLs and show us the bad ones in red. We filtered on the failed red ones. I will read the documentation on it. So far it looks useful to us.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Mercury had 3 tools in the Astra line (that I know of): Astra QuickTest, Astra LoadTest, and Astra SiteManager. The last one is most likely the one that dealt with broken links and things of that nature, but I personally never used it. Astra QuickTest is what eventually became QTP.
    Dennis Belew

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Dennis,
    At one point about 15 years ago, Mercury gave me all of the tools to try for free. I think it was Astra SiteManager that I found to be very useful. I wish that they kept the link tool alive. I just wrote to HP about a link checker. They sent me some links to QTP code that collects all the links at a level and cycles through them. They also say that QTP check points determine if the link is broken or not. From my experience, it does not seem accurate, but I should look more carefully. If it does work, it is still only at one level and I'd have to programatically traverse the links.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Yeah, Xenu is the best tool I've found for this job.

Recursively checking links through the whole site in QTP with its single threaded process would be very inefficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I contacted Support.Openview about broken link testing and Astra. From their response it seems to be saying that Sprinter 11.5 and ALM(QTP) 11.5 have improved broken link testing. Has anyone been using these versions? Is there improvement on broken link testing over QTP 11? Has 11.5 of Sprinter or ALM been released? How can I get it?
    Thanks,

Kevin