Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

GetVisibleText is returning blank

Hi,

I am trying to extract the text that is pasted as picture from powerpoint with the help of GetVisibleText method, however, it is returning blank value instead of visible text

One more thing is: it is working on my host machine but not working on one of my VMs on which I use to develop script.

On both machines, OS is the same and Office version is also same

Note: I am using Office 2007

Code that I am using is(Name with which PPT file is saved is Dummy1):

msgbox Window("regexpwndclass:=.*FrameClass.*").Window("r egexpwndtitle:=Dummy1.*","regexpwndclass:=mdiClass ").WinObject("text:=Slide","nativeclass:=paneClass DC").GetVisibleText

Can anyone please help me in resolving this issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: GetVisibleText is returning blank

haven't met your case, but you may double check if the option General -> Text Recognition in both are the same.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Options in both are the same...

I have resolved this issue:

The issue was: in Tools > Options > Text Recognition > Multiple Text Block Mode was selected.

Need to change it to Single Text Block Mode

what is happening is:

If I select Single Text Block Mode in Settings, then GetVisibleText is working if one/multiple picture is pasted

If I select Multiple Text Block Mode in Settings, then GetVisibleText is working only if multiple pictures are pasted

Doesn't work if single picture is pasted..thats what my case was

If one/multiple picture is pasted, then GetVisibleText is working if Single Text Block Mode is selected in the Settings.

Can anyone please let me know, whats the purpose of Single Text Block Mode and Multiple Text Block Mode?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The help file covers the difference in detail with an example. Just look up 'text recognition'. Basically switches the algorithm around telling it whether to expect multiple font types/backgrounds or not.

Note that the help also discourages using GetVisibleText in the first place since it is unreliable.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks. It is unreliable, however, to extract text from the picture, this is the only method provided by QTP. So, we only have to rely on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Try Using GetContent()
    Hopefully this will work..

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Reshu. We will try to use that as well. Can anyone please let us know if it is reliable if anyone has used it?

Note: While using GetVisibleText, we got into some problem where it is identifying Cell1 as Cam so, we have to enlarge the text before using GetVisibleText to rectify this issue.

Still, it was picking some extra text in some other situations, so we did not find this as much reliable.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You may be better off using a bitmap comparison or other picture verification tricks like checking file size/dimensions/etc. Presuming anyway that you just need to check that the picture is "right" and not extract some dynamic text from it.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks NoUse4aName for reply.

You may be better off using a bitmap comparison
    - By this, are you referring to Bitmap Comparision? If yes, then I find that it is not very reliable. If no, then can you please point me to the right direction?

or other picture verification tricks like checking file size/dimensions/etc.

- Can you please let me know, how to check picture size, dimensions etc?

Presuming anyway that you just need to check that the picture is "right" and not extract some dynamic text from it.

- Yes, I need to check that what I have pasted is actually picture and text of the picture is correct.