Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What does patch QTP_00919 do?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to install QTP patch QTP_00919. I received automatic notification of the release of this patch for QTP v11.

The patch information says:

"This patch enables you to run QuickTest tests remotely as part of a Functional test set from an ALM server using server-side execution."

There is no additional explanation. There is no reference to a defect or change reques id.

What is meant by "from an ALM server using server-side execution"? Is this the same thing as logging in through the ALM UI, going to the Test Lab module, selecting a QuickTest test instance and running it? Or the same as opening QTP, connecting to ALM, opening a QTP test stored in ALM, and running it within the QTP application? If so, did this stop working at some point, requiring a patch to make it work again?
    Trudy C
    (Opinions and information contained in this post are wholly my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What does patch QTP_00919 do?

[ QUOTE ]
    ALM 11.5 UG
    <ul type="square"> [*] Run Tests using Functional Test Sets

Tests in Functional test sets are run using server-side execution. This means you don't have to be
    around to initiate and control the tests. Functional test sets are run via timeslots, so you can
    schedule a test set to be run immediately, or you can schedule it to be run at a future time. Once
    you schedule the test, ALM will ensure that the necessary resources will be reserved for the test
    set. The test set is launched without user intervention and run in sequence with the input you
    provide in advance.
    [*] Run Tests using Default Test Sets

Tests in Default test sets are run using client-side execution. You control the test directly from your
    local computer. You can run Default test sets manually or automatically in ALM.
    [*] Patch System Requirements in Install window:
    QuickTest Professional 11.00 (when run from HP ALM 11.5)

[/ QUOTE ][/list]

Referring ALM docs, server-side execution is a feature from the Test Lab Management extension in ALM 11.5, offering the most awaited functionality, scheduling automated tests from the ALM Server itself.

There's no need for a custom OTA scheduler script linked to the Windows Scheduled Tasks.
    Rajkumar

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What does patch QTP_00919 do?

Rajikumar,

THANK YOU so much for that explanation! I went around and around with HP support asking them to point me at the documentation for "server side execution", and they never said simply "it is a feature of ALM v11.5".
    Trudy C
    (Opinions and information contained in this post are wholly my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)