Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Specifying Data Table in Test Settings/Resources

Any advantages/disadvantages of mainly specifying your Data Table in the Test Settings/Resources versus coding it with DataTable.Import <filename>?

Using QTP 11, my excel datafile has 10 or more worksheets.
    My test only has 1 Action and it matches the 2nd Worksheet.
    Case1 - With DataTable.Import <excel file>, QTP is importing only the Global and the 2nd Worksheet.

Case2 - If I use the relative path in Test Settings/Resources, I am also getting just the Global and the 2nd Worksheet.

Case3 - If I don't use the relative path in Test Settings/Resources and specify the full path, I get all of my datafile worksheets at runtime.

Note: We have not applied any of the QTP 11 patches. Is this part of the problem we are seeing?

Appreciate your help.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Specifying Data Table in Test Settings/Resources

There's no difference betwen Case1 & Case2. They are the same.
    But there's a difference between (Case1, Case2) AND Case3. And that is when you use the Import method, then you must meet this condition. The imported table must match the test. Where in Case3, it doesn't have to meet this condition. It just loads the whole xls file.

So you have to create the DataTable first before you can load a sheet on to it. Here's something that can help you.
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    Function LoadSheet(strFilePath, strSourceSheet, strDestSheet)
    DataTable.ImportSheet PathFinder.Locate(strFilePath), strSourceSheet, strDestSheet
    End Function
    </pre><hr />

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    Function AddLoadSheet(strFilePath, strSourceSheet)
    DataTable.AddSheet strSourceSheet
    DataTable.ImportSheet PathFinder.Locate(strFilePath), strSourceSheet, strSourceSheet
    End Function
    </pre><hr />
    Rajkumar