Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Global TestSet Configuration Variable?

Hi Guys,

I've automated about 50-60 BPT tests. However i am now running into data issue. I'ev decided to run some configuration data from an XML file. But i just relised i have to change the path in each component in each tests.

is there a concept at testset level where i can specify paramater/variable so my components can use it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Global TestSet Configuration Variable?

You could either add a user defined field to the testset (cycle) or add the xml as an attachment to the testset. You can access them using the OTA API.

Would you need to change the path often or are you running testsets in parallel that require different paths? If you don't you can just set the path in an environment variable for the machine the tests are executing on.

Without knowing more context it is difficult to say what the best solution is in your case. There are many others beyond what I've suggested above.

Cheers,
    Brendan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Brendon. Yes i do need to change paths often, Per each environment which has different configurations (i.e host addresses, etc)

I like the user defined one. How would i be able to call that user defined field in a business process component?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can access the QC OTA API from within a business component. If you look at both the QTP user guide and the OTA API user guide it shouldn't take too long to work it out. I think you can get the current test set directly but if you can't you can definitely get the current test and from there the current testset. Once you have the testset object you can access its fields.

Cheers,
    Brendan.