I've had QTP 10 installed for quite some time and it has been working fine during this time, all of the sudden it doesn't want to recognize the Browser anymore. My best guess is perhaps a Windows update is the problem, however I can't seem to find out why. Any thoughts for resolution are greatly appreciated.
Product name: QuickTest Professional
Product version: 10.00
Product ID: QTPRPID10.00/01
Product build: 513
Operating system: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Internet Explorer version: 9.0.8112.16421
Quality Center connectivity: 10.0.0.1740
Ive had this happen to me quite a few times especially when updating my java console. Best way to solve it is usually to uninstall and install it again but it takes some time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Another fix i found was messing with the java and explorer hooks in the registry for mercury and HP.
im assuming you are opening QTP first and then you open the browser... otherwise this is your problem and ill explain why ( and answer the hooks thing in the process).
When you load qtp it starts monitoring processes to see if you are opening applications for which you have loadded addins web is usually loaded so it monitors if you open explorer so it can "hook" itself to the process and read what you are doing and replay what you recorded. SO if you open before qtp you wont be reading anything hence no recording... Now to play with the hooks you'll need to open your registry editor which you can by going start--> Run and then typing in regedit.
Once its open go to Software --> Mercury Interactive -- MicTest -->Hooks
there you will finf the hooks for all the addins you installed including iexplore. Icurrenlty have all of them (3) with the exception of the default one set to 1
Try and see if you have the same config... as a note sometimes even though you have them enabled they wont work you need to enable then open explorer (qtp open) and then try and record... then go back and enable them again and try to record.
Not sure if your problem is the same one I had but this is what orked for me.
Thanks for your response baltz, I tried your scenario, I did have the hooks listed, but enabling, disabling and re-enabling didn't change anything. I'm going with uninstall/reinstall now. I guess the most unnerving thing is that there is absolutely NO support from the HP website. Our service contract has run out so I can't submit a ticket, not that they would tell me any different.