Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How do you do cross browser testing?

I have been provided with below URL to see if the tool suffices our needs.
    https://crossbrowsertesting.com/acco...bscribe?plan=4

I plan to spend some time on it, but also want to get expert comments/suggestions about how have you handled cross browser testing for your applications. For now we test it only on IE. Now intentions are to bring in below browsers
    - Firefox
    - Mac Safari
    - Chrome

O/s under tests are XP & Mac. I suggest to have IE to cover scope of functional testing and rest browsers to be used for only smoke test (I mean scope to have happy path end to end of the function under test).

Will appreciate to share your experience, standards & framework for cross browser testing.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How do you do cross browser testing?

Has anyone used Selenium, Fitnesse or any other tool for non IE browser testing? I am looking here options that doesn't require purchase of any tool. I guess having an expensive QTP is enough for the any firm.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes we first looked into Selenium for the cross-browser support. Now we are transitioning all automation over to Selenium and phasing out QTP completely. The challenge was just making our framework work. But then we don't much use the built-in qtp functionalities of checkpoints, actions and such. So it largely just comes down to writing in a different language.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes we first looked into Selenium for the cross-browser support. Now we are transitioning all automation over to Selenium and phasing out QTP completely. The challenge was just making our framework work. But then we don't much use the built-in qtp functionalities of checkpoints, actions and such. So it largely just comes down to writing in a different language.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am exactly in the same boat. We have a framework that doesn't use QTP in-built OR but stores it in excel. I plan to propose to get rid of QTP and use freeware tools such as selenium, fitnesse etc. But I need to know how to do it. Can you please share your efforts how you planned to change from QTP to selenium. And how long were you using QTP before you planned to exit. How long did it take to phase out QTP? What was your road map for the change-over? What were your challenges after you switched to Selenium or any other tool. I can touch base privately to share your expertise & guidance, only if convenient to you.

Thanks!

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There might not be fixed roadmap from QTP to selenium, as QTP's Object Recognotion is little different.

If you are using table driven-keyword driven framework fully, your road may be *ok*.

Recommended approach is to try a proof for above + only selenium in parallel.(for a sample of test cases)Then select appropriate one.
    Kind regards,
    Anand Tambey

RSS Feed : Break To Make it Better
    A Lazy person could be the best automation professional, if he is not lazy in implementing his ideas to reduce his work. ~Anand Tambey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Besides deciding what tool to use for testing, I have one more question. How do you create & manage multiple test environments. I mean with FF,IE, Chrome & Safari as browsers & windows/Mac as O/s, one will have so many combinations like

FF (versions 3.x) with Mac
    FF (versions 3.x) with windows XP
    FF (versions 3.x) with windows vista
    FF (versions 3.x) with windows 7
    IE (6 & higher) with windows XP
    IE (6 & higher) with windows vista
    IE (6 & higher) with windows 7

No one is going to have a physical machine to have each, so do you use VMs. Can anyone please share what infrastructure you have to support so many browser/OS combinations.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We do have physical machines setup for the browser/os combinations that we care about per business rules(based on stats in google analytics). VMs/emulators for the oddballs. Try as I might, our sites are not visited often enough by PS3 users(but there are some) to validate bringing one in to the office to test with [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] We killed off IE6 support awhile ago(once it dipped below 5% usage-now trigger a please upgrade message).

We are taking a phase-in approach. All new tests are being created with Selenium. Existing tests are still being maintained in QTP for now with plans to eventually phase them all over as they require any significant work or just when we have time. Obviously wanting to transition everything before our current support contract expires. This is still ongoing. Have used qtp for years. Most of our products are built through Hudson, so we've setup some Selenium smoke tests that are kicked off by the Hudson build as well.

All that said, the vast majority of cross-browser issues are look and feel issues that really just need a human eye. However, we do turn up functional issues as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,even I am looking resolution for this, as QTP is becoming expensive to mantain and upgrade each time my company is also palnning to make transition from QTP to selinum, but it involves lot of effort based on our products.

Do we have a way to transform the existing scripts from QTP to selenium or should we have everything written from scratch ?
    QTPLearner

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Need to do it from scratch. I'm not aware of anything that can translate vbscript to java/c#/perl/php/ruby and qtp to selenese. Such a program would be approaching an artificial intelligence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm more inclined to do it from scratch if change over is mandatory.

Why there is need to change over if going good with QTP?

New skills and framework are required to build it from scratch

According to my knowledge selenium is not quite straight forward to work with

Why not try QTP 11 to resolve issues?

Please feel free to comment on my views

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast