Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP Script with multiple actions takes time

Hi,

I am using QTP 10. My one Test Script makes call to around 25 External actions. (it uses most of them in one run)

When I modify a cell in one tab of the Datatable (of the 25 tabs referencing the 25 external actions in my script) and attempts to save the script, it takes so long; sometimes close to 45 seconds upto 1 minute.
    It takes this much time even to open this kind of script.

a) Does that mean QTP ALWAYS tries to save the 24 'Default.xls' files inaddition to the one 'Default.xls' file that has been modified?
    b) Should QTP not save just the one 'Default.xls' file that has been modified?

Please note, all the actions in my Test Script uses only the Descriptive Programming.

=======
    Some additional Information:
    a) Configuration of my QTP Client is:
    RAM: 2 GB
    Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz

b) I have been using only the WEB Add-in for my scripts

c) The slowness in script OPEN/SAVE happens even when no other application is opened on my system..

d) All scripts are under the same root folder..
    ============

Can you please help me know the cause of this slowness? Can you guide me on improving the performance?

Please let me know if you require some more information on this.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP Script with multiple actions takes time

Yep, with that many external actions it will take that amount of time to open and save the test each time. Sorry don't think there is anything you can do about it.

To answer your questions, a) your probably correct it does try and save all the 'Default.xls' files. b) again maybe it should only save the modified file!
    Cheers
    Bear

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is one of the reasons you should use functions instead of reusable actions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1. Are those external actions from one test or many different tests (hom many)? This is the first place need to be improved.

2. Cut down the number of actions in place that they are replaced by functions.

3. Move some actions from external to local.

4. In general don't abuse usage of Action. The good way is

** use limitied Actions to represent your business areas so you can deal with different objects and datasheets.
    ** use functions to extend Action for readability and modularity.
    ** configure QTP in a way to handle Test/Action iterations.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks all for sharing your inputs/suggestions!

@Jene,
    My application is a Booking application. For the entire booking flow there are around 25 different test scripts fetching data from their respective datasheets. (Each of these represent just 1 functionality/module.) Not all, but most of them are used during 1 Run.
    Almost all the Test cases would thus require referencing those 25 modules.

And the functions that they all use in common, are already placed under the Function Library.

@Jene, @NoUse4aName: you mentioned that using functions instead of resuable functions is a good idea.
    And also, I know that one way to save this time in OPEN/SAVE is to call actions dynamically at run time using the LoadAndRunAction.
    BUT, I would like to understand that in both of these ways, how can I associate with Functions OR Actions (loaded dynamically) the seperate (local) datasheets specific to each of my test case? Please guide.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well I'd also say you shouldn't use datasheets, and should have your test data in a database which would further help load time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But any functions you associated dynamically would have access to everything the calling action had including datasheets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How about using notepad for importing data. It may still reduce your load time.
    Thanks,
    - Raj

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for sharing your valuable inputs! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I personally feel managing the test data in Excel is comparatively easy so I imported the data from the excel using DataTable.ImportSheet method and tried loading actions at run time using LoadAndRunAction Utility Statement. That works well; BUT, since loading actions at run time takes some more time than loading the actions at design time; so I'll have to work on finding ways to make the performance even better..

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why not just work with the data directly in excel rather than importing it?

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, but, in that case we will have to assign values to each the web objects by referring to the Excel 'cell coordinates'. Wouldn't it be cumbersome to deal-in with?

Currently, for every Test Case script, the Data Sheet is imported to the Test Case script and each of the web object is assigned values referring to the 'Column' of newly added sheet in the Test Case DataTable..