Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP doesn\'t identify browse button on IE8

I used to run my QTP scripts against IE7, the browse button(file upload object with a text box AND Browse button) was not recognized by QTP, but I could use with WebFile to type in the file path in the text box. Or modify Web Event Recording Configuration to add onclick for WebFile, then QTP will recognize the browse button. But with IE8 or Firefox, it is no longer recognize as WebFile, when I spy it, it shows as WinObject. My old WebFile line could still run, but instead of type the file path in the text box, it pops up the browse window and start to type in the file path in the "File name" field, somehow the browse window shows up slower than the typing, so my file path is always truncated, for example my file path is "C:\MyTest\Resources\Uploaded Documents\news.txt", but it only has "\Resources\Uploaded Documents\news.txt" then click on Open, then I will get file not found. How many characters it truncated depend on how slow the browse window shows up. I have no way to control the timing since to me it is just a webfile.set command. How do I solve this problem for IE8 and Firefox? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP doesn\'t identify browse button on IE8

Which version of QTP? I hope your are on QTP 10 or higher which supports IE8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm using QTP11.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We have confirmed a similar issue with HP Support on QTP 10 (with patches applied) using IE8. Contact HP Support for a work-around. The issue appears to be due to the change made by MS on IE8 for WebFile objects (which include a text box and a button component). With that change, the text box is not updatable and a dialog box is launched for the file path name (either by clicking the BROWSE button or by double-clicking the text box area or by attempting to set the WebFile value) . This introduced a synchronization problem, which is the cause of the truncation.

Moderator: For this forum thread, I suggest changing the subject line to something like "WebFile file path value is truncated to invalid file names".

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

See KM1033197 on HP support website for QTP 10 and QTP 11.