Thread: WinObject issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WinObject issue

I installed the evaluation version of QTP 11 a couple of weeks ago to determine if QTP would be effective with the application which we are developing. The application is .Net4 and using DevExpress. I have the .Net and the WPF add-ins installed and associated with the test. QTP was able to identify the objects as swfxxx until yesterday. We received a new build of the application and dev swears nothing was changed. QTP is recognizing the objects as WinObjects now. I checked the make sure the licenses for the add-ins have not expired (thanks HP for the extra 2 weeks to evaluate) and supposedly the licenses have another 11 days. So I am at a loss as to what might be causing the issue with QTP. Does anyone know if the application was built using an updated version of .Net4 or DevExpress would impact QTP seeing the objects as swfxxx objects?

Thanks
    Thomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: WinObject issue

Have to tried using Object Spy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That's what is stating the objects as WinObjects. I also tried .Net Spy and received the message that .Net Spy only works on Windows Forms controls.

It really feels like the .Net add-in isn't being loaded or something is going on with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Try getting QTP to open up the application with SystemUtil.Run command and then spy again.

I have found that on .Net sometimes, if the app is opened manually, QTP gets briefly confused but after opening it with QTP, it sorts itself out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah the systemutil functionality is built into the framework. And in the past, I have opened the app manually after having QTP open and QTP recognized the objects just fine.

However, with this latest build and security issues, we have to execute the app as a different user using the runas command. Not sure if QTP would consider executing a batch script which executes the runas command the same as opening the app directly. My guess is not, but when I have the time to try, I'll try it to find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For anyone that has the same issue and finds this thread, the problem was that QTP was set up to execute only on Applications which it opened. However, I swear I didn't let QTP open the app every time in the past. Beside the point. The setting is under Automation>Record and Run Settings.