QTP and UI Automation

Hello All,
    Our client is using third-party controls that QTP cannot identify (QTP can identify the menus but cannot identify the menu items). I searched the web for ways to combat this issue and found that people were creating their own custom libraries and using that in conjunction with QTP to identify objects.

I was thinking of creating my own dll that would get a unique identifier of a menu item (such as the name) and get the coordinates of the menu item so that I could pass those coordinates to QTP which could then click the menu item. I am planning on creating my dll in Visual Studio C# 2010 Express.

So, my question is, would this be a logical way to go about this problem and if so, where would I get started. Or is there a more efficient method? Any responses and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: QTP and UI Automation

This is a follow up to my previous question. I ended up creating a class library that uses UI Automation that retrieves the name of the element and gets its boundingrectangle property in order to calculate the coordinates of the element. Getting started, I planned what I needed to do and came up with the following steps:

1 - How to retrieve the element name and its properties
    2 - Calculate the element's coordinates
    3 - Return results

Using the UI Spy (in Windows SDK) to spy on my elements, I discovered that I had to traverse firstly to the window that held the elements, then to the element's direct parent and finally to the element itself.

Knowing little about UI Automation, I searched both the web and MSDN and finally found a page pertaining to the RootElement property of the AutomationElement object. From there, I relied heavily on the resources of MSDN and created my library.

If you are looking for code on how to do this or something similar, I suggest that you look up the AutomationElement.RootElement Property on MSDN or better yet look at their articles regarding UI Automation.

You can use keystrokes automation here using SendKeys(Refer QTP Help).

Then you need to automate for example:-
    1. Right click (Object.click micRightBtn) or context menu key(shift+F10).
    2. Down Arrow N times
    3. Enter
    Kind regards,
    Anand Tambey

RSS Feed : Break To Make it Better
    A Lazy person could be the best automation professional, if he is not lazy in implementing his ideas to reduce his work. ~Anand Tambey

I think as anand mentioned one can use the SendKeys method and navigate through the menu items.
    Ganesh Iyer
    Winds of Change

Hi Amor,

Custom add-ins can be developed in QTP for some environments and its done using Extensibility accelerator.

Take a look at this video from HP

This is demo for Web based applications. But this gives a rough idea on how to do it.

Thanks for all of your replies! I'll take a look at the various methods suggested here (keystrokes, sendkeys, etc). I'll also take a look at the custom add-in development as well. Thanks again.

Hi Amor,

As Raj said QTP's add-in extensibility might serve your problem. I have worked on extending the QTP's functionality in recognizing some of the web controls (using web extensibility mechanism) which QTP fails to identify earlier.Please have a glance at the tutorial for Java add-in development in QTP.