Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Data migration testing

HI everyone..
    I am close follower of this forum as really informative discussions happen in this forum..TO start with I have one query :

For Data migration testing what role can QTP perform as there only backend is going to be involved .So what aspects of QTP can help in Data base migration testing.pLease guide me on this

Thanks in advance

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Data migration testing

You can connect to the database and run sql statements from QTP. Store the results and compare the 'migrated from' values to the 'migrated to' values to be sure they are equal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why you use QTP itself, this can be done using scripting languages more effeciently.
    Cheers
    Jonty..
    -- Here to Learn and share ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can verify the transformation logic and compare the data in the old and new DB.
    Verifying all the rows of a particular table manually is too time consuming and requires huge effort. You can write scripts to verify and compare each column value in every row. But this might get really messy if there is huge change in the DB.

I think you should take up jonty's suggestion and not use QTP.

Regards,
    Syed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

JOnty , Syed thanks for your valueable suggestions..I do agree with you that using scripting will be more applicable in my case thats why I posed what part QTP can play..

Further on this Would VBscripting be good option for this? If yes then can you please suggest me good knowledge sources for VBscript and Database interaction.

Thanks and Regards
    Harjeet