Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP Script question

The software i'm using is QTP, but i guess this would apply to any testing package.

I need to create a script to test for user creation. I assembled a script that creates a user as part of the test, and at the end it deletes the user as part of cleanup.

The issue is that our application only logically deletes users, it doesn't physically deletes them, and they are unique, so the next time the script runs it fails because that user already exists.

Does anybody know a solution for this?? Can i make a script in QTP that physically chooses a different username each time the scripts runs? or any other ideas??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP Script question

Use a function to create random characters for the user name.
    You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
    Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
    World Wide Shipping.

http://mowogman.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anybody know a solution for this?? Can i make a script in QTP that physically chooses a different username each time the scripts runs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. Most tools can choose different values each time (either from a list of usernames, or using randomized strings).
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As Ian says use a random algorithm to generate unique values.

Store the previously used values in some file and compare your current data with the repository first before submitting.

The application would store in the physical data in some repository, so validate against that before creating a new one.
    Cheers
    Jonty..
    -- Here to Learn and share ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all. I followed Joe's hint. I basically created a data table with a list of usernames. My script goes to that table and picks the first one on the list, during script.

At the end of my script, i make a call to a different action that actually opens the table in excel and deletes the first row, so that username is not available any longer.

There is a way to delete the row right from QTP but i wasn't sure how to do that...but this works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you're using excel, you could format the cell to append the Date/Time to the end of a username. This will be unique every time and you won't have to delete the row from excel and constantly have to mess around with your spreadsheet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thats a great idea. I dont think it will work, because this data table is actually managed by QTP, i only use excel at the end of the script to delete the username. Excel is not used when the script runs..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have a follow up question. When my script ends, it loops back to the beginning and tries to run the script again, using the second username on the datatable. It seems it will run through all the usernames in a loop.

I dont want this, i want it to use one username and stop at the end. How can i make it NOT LOOP. I went to Action Call Settings - Data Table Iterations, and selected " Run from Row 1 to Row 1 ", but it still loops back to the beginning running the script again using Row 2 of my username data table. Any ideas??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This should not happen.

However,an alternative is to control execution thru flags in your input sheet.

Put a column "ExecuteThis" and set it to YES or NO.

in your script you can write logic to process the row only if the value of "ExecuteThis" is set to YES
    Cheers!!!
    Shrikant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As Shrikant said, with those Run Settings, it should not execute for all rows, unless there is a loop in your code.

But still i have one question.
    If i understand it correctly, we need a unique username each time. (Please correct me if i am wrong)

So as gadom mentioned above, if append date & time each time to common string say "UserName" then each time you execute script, it will take unique name.

So there is no need for using DataTable here.

With Regards,
    Kumar G.
    With Regards,
    KumarG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast