Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

one reusable action per test makes your test easy

Hi All,

I am currently working on Test automation of a web application. I am going with an approach where I am creating one reusable action to cater one application feature. On the other hand I am using one Test per Application module.
    So far things are fine for me, but we have a third party QTP consultant with us to review our work. In our last discussion He suggested to keep one reusable action per test rather than having one test with multiple user actions. This way your tests would be easier to maintain.
    This didn’t strike my mind as it will increase number of test scripts in multiplication. May cause dicrease in script execution as well

Can anyone suggest some Pros and cons of having one reusable action per test

Waiting for your valueable feedback

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: one reusable action per test makes your test e

It all seems a bit old school to me. Ever since I have been using QTP I only use 1 script with one action. The sole purpose of that script is to start the framework.

Anytime you use QTP in the way Mercury/HP intended causes a high maintenance over head.
    You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
    Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
    World Wide Shipping.

http://mowogman.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is the question for one action, no matter what kinds, per test?

I saw many people use one action per test to avoid using actions. Within the only action people call functions.

QTP action is a special function and it associates not only the code logic, but also local OR, datasheet, and paras. Therefore, it can brings lots of over head. Moreover, reusiable actions can cause cross reference or recursion in the worst case.

On the other hand, avoiding use actions defenitely loses QTP features. e.g. QTP datatable is very powerful and handy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi ,

I feel that, creating reusable actions in a test will reduces the rework.

Ex: Let think that we have 3 scenarios.

1. Login in email & Verify the new mail & Logout.
    2. Login into Email & compose e mail & Logout
    3. Login into E mail & Delete the mail & Logout.

In the first sceanrios we can write 3 reusable actions a.Login b.VerifyEmail c.Logout
    In second scenario Login,ComposeEMail,Logout.
    In third scenario Login,DeleteEMail,Logout.

In all the scearios we required Login & Logout. So creating Reusable actions for these Login & Logout will redeces rework & we can reuse these actions any where.

Thanks,
    Nagesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For one reusable action per test, it will produce a lot of files and folders, sometimes will make your version control tool crash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

One test to start. Try to shell all Objects in functions.

Call that functions (Keywords) by header names of the Exceltables collumns that you arrange from left to right and serve the data from the rows. Then the data rules the workflow not the script ask for data.

And dont forget to serve the tests with a functionality to start even if the test before fail.

Any question how to realize?

Just ask
    Catch the train on rail of fasten, proven and easy solutions.

I have succesfully arranged a workflow Independent Framework for QTP like the EMOS Framework for WR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

1. Login in email & Verify the new mail & Logout.
    2. Login into Email & compose e mail & Logout
    3. Login into E mail & Delete the mail & Logout.

In the first sceanrios we can write 3 reusable actions a.Login b.VerifyEmail c.Logout
    In second scenario Login,ComposeEMail,Logout.
    In third scenario Login,DeleteEMail,Logout.

In all the scearios we required Login & Logout. So creating Reusable actions for these Login & Logout will redeces rework & we can reuse these actions any where.

[/ QUOTE ]

Create Login function
    Create Logout Function
    Create VerifyNewMail Function
    Create ComposeEmail Function
    Create DeleteEmail Function

Call then in any order you like from one QTP action

Same as your idea but infinately more flexible/maintainable/scaleable

The advise you are getting in this thread is from experienced QTP testers, some of who have used a methodology similar to yours and realised that there are better ways to use QTP. I am one of those who has been down your route and wasted valuable time doing so.

People are not rubbishing your method, they are trying to help you see there are better ways that the HP documented way to use QTP.

MArk Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As Mark said, I would also like to recommend you to look at this OO approach to modularize your functionality(ies): http://relevantcodes.com/qtp-using-c...est-modules-i/
    Regards,

Anshoo Arora
    Relevant Codes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    It all seems a bit old school to me. Ever since I have been using QTP I only use 1 script with one action. The sole purpose of that script is to start the framework.

Anytime you use QTP in the way Mercury/HP intended causes a high maintenance over head.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on the same page as you, Ian. I know that even using a one-reusable-action-per-script framework results in limitations, although it can work.

I would like to know more about your style of scripting. You're externally launching your .vbs scripts, but is there more to it?

Thanks,
    -ZR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on the same page as you, Ian. I know that even using a one-reusable-action-per-script framework results in limitations, although it can work.

I would like to know more about your style of scripting. You're externally launching your .vbs scripts, but is there more to it?

Thanks,
    -ZR

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized that you have a framework concept like this posted in the forums already. I'm currently reading it.

[ QUOTE ]

(from your document...)
    I have provided examples of putting common actions into subs that can be called this allows for easy maintenance of common reusable actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should work just nicely. Thanks Ian!