Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

(Another?) QTP/VMware question....

Hi,

We are running QTP v.10 in a VMware environment and everything runs okay when we have a VMware session window open. However, the scripts seem to fail when the session window is closed.

I have read some other people have had the same problem and was wondering if anyone has a work around (apart from just leaving the session window open)?

Leaving the session window open isn't really a good option for us as we leave the script runing overnight and it access secure info on screen.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: (Another?) QTP/VMware question....

VMVare is not a remoting solution it is a virtualization environment. If you were using something like VNC which actually remotes into the actual machine and shows you the running desktop then closing the tool is possible. But for this it a session based and you close window which means you close the session and hence the running programs as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    VMVare is not a remoting solution it is a virtualization environment. If you were using something like VNC which actually remotes into the actual machine and shows you the running desktop then closing the tool is possible. But for this it a session based and you close window which means you close the session and hence the running programs as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep exactly.

I run through VMWare too - so I should note you can lock your machine and have the script still run (if you are concerned about security). I realize it isn't the best choice, but if you shut down the VMWare machine - the script will also stop.

As Tarun said, the only way around that is by using VNC into a REAL PC - which will solve your problem and allow you to not worry about security issues. Depends on how sensitive your data is I guess

Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your answers.

I realised we could "lock" the machine - And will put that forward as a possible solution.The data is rather sensitive though.

It was strange tough as "closing" the visual session (not actually closing down the virtual machine) did do something. QTP did kick off - but didn't seem to recognise some of the on screen data fields... Which i suppose makes sense if we have closed the visual session down! (apologies for any wrong terminology regarding "visual" VMWare stuff - just recently started using it :-) )

Thanks again.