ComboBox identified as ActiveX class object

I'm pretty new to Quick Test Pro, with my company currently evaluating moving our testing from WinRunner to QTP, so sorry if this is a stupid question. I attempted to search for a solution before starting a new thread, but to no avail.

I have a number of dialogs which i believe were coded in VBA and are made up of controls from the Microsoft Forms 2.0 Controls.

The edit boxes, radio buttons, check boxes & push buttons on these dialogs are all identified as AcxEdit, AcxRadioButton, AcxCheckBox & AcxButton objects respectively.

However any combo boxes found on the same dialogs are identified as being of ActiveX class, rather than what i would expect should be AcxComboBox.

This obviously means i am missing some important methods for these objects such as Select. Therefore when i record actions on these object they are recorded as a series of clicks on certain co-ordinates, which is very susceptible to problems and changes.

I am running with the .NET, ActiveX and Visual Basic Add-ins loaded, and QTP set to "Record and run test on any open Windows-based application".

As it may be of help to someone i have provided the complete list of identification properties for one such combo box:

[ QUOTE ]

Class Name: ActiveX
    abs_x: 525
    abs_y: 211
    acx_name: ComboBox
    enabled: True
    focused: False
    height: 24
    nativeclass: F3 Server 60000000
    progid: Forms.ComboBox.1
    text: BD 37/01 Bridge Design
    visible: True
    width: 208
    window id: 0
    x: 393
    y: 141

[/ QUOTE ]

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If i can provide any further information please let me know and i will be more than happy to supply it.

Re: ComboBox identified as ActiveX class object

Try running the attached file and see if it helps in anyway
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks very much for the suggestion and the file.

At first i couldn't get it to work at all, but after a bit of tinkering around with the same approach, i have achieved some degree of succes. After adding the string value you provided, to the registry at the following two locations, the object spy will now identify the control as of AcxComboBox class, and it can be mapped as such.

[ QUOTE ]
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Pofessional\MicTest\ActiveX Add-in\ProgID\Forms.ComboBox.1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Pofessional\MicTest\ActiveX Add-in\ProgID\Forms.ComboBox.1

[/ QUOTE ]

However, when i attempt to use the Select method on the combo box i get an error at runtime which states the following:

[ QUOTE ]
    Not implemented

Line (10): Window("LUSAS Bridge Plus").Window("Vehicle Load").AcxComboBox("ComboBox").Select "A160"

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

This might mean that the object doesn't implement a ComboBox in general fashion. You might look at deleting these registry keys and try the native properties now

So you need to see what all options you get after .Object. and if there is anything that you think you can use