Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP - QC Best Practice

Do you save the automated script along with manual design steps in QC or do you save automated scripts under a separate folder "Automation" in QC ?
    I used the second method but I found it little bit awkward because I have to establish a way to map each manual script to its automated counterpart. The first method is also hectic when you have one automated script that covers more than one manual test.
    any ideas on what is the best way to organize?

Thanks
    "I realize it's an error, but no one is going to try to do that!"
    From "Top 10 Stupid Comments from Developers".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP - QC Best Practice

We are using a keyword framework from QC to QTP so the automated scripts are the manual scripts or vice versa. I have seen many posts where people are trying to link manual test cases to automation and find the approach to be cumbersome at best. Not duplicating test cases is always the best way to go as when things change you have twice the work.

Cheers~

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I do not script individual tests. I create scripts for business processes(essentially reusable actions, but done with function libraries) which have a 1 to 1 mapping to a process defined in QC by manual steps. Each test in QC is then just made up of parameterized calls to those processes. Essentially BPT without using BPT directly. Whether the test is run automated or manual, the same process is performed as the manual steps match the automated steps.

Sounds like you have a test scope issue where the test cases you write for manual tests are more narrowly defined than the automated ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am using a similar approach of reusable actions that can form a full test. My question is do you have your calls to these reusable actions saved along with the manual design steps in one test cases or do you create a separate test only for the automation script?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In our project we save the automated script along with the manual test cases. Following are the reasons

1. If the Automated scriptsare executed by manual tester then it might be helpful. they can shose to run the test maunually execute the automated script.
    2. It will help in generating better metrics(maunal & automation execution) if you use QC reporting/metrics
    3. When ever a manual test case is updated(due to enhance), they modify the Status in QC and an email is sent to all testers (including the automators). Then the automation team will update the script and change the status back to ready.

Thanks,
    Pavan

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I am using a similar approach of reusable actions that can form a full test. My question is do you have your calls to these reusable actions saved along with the manual design steps in one test cases or do you create a separate test only for the automation script?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely they go together for they are only 1 test. The manual steps are the documentation for the automated script to accomplish that test scenario.

It's rather simple for me as in my framework every test uses the same one line script which calls an external processor, so I just distribute that script to all automated tests through the QC API. The external processor then reads the manual steps to run the appropriate scripts.

We also make use of the QC metrics and status fields as Pavan indicates above and unnecessarily duplicating tests would mess with that.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I keep parallel copies of the manual and automated tests.

First I automate from an Excel version of the manual test plan. As I go along I name the steps like QTP_00100, QTP_00200 etc., both the manual and automated tests have the same name. (I make sure to leave plenty of room for all those steps that the manual test plan writer left out). Then I upload the Excel spreadsheet to QC, and save all the automated tests into QC.

My style of automation is to mirror the product, when you want to do File\New, there's an action for File with all the things under file in it, so you would call action File New. Once automated you can virtually read the code like English so I rarely have to refer back to the manual test plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

DavidPrach,
    in your approach how do you map your automated scripts to their manual counterparts? what if you have some reusable actions that form the automated test, how do you link them to the automated scripts that use them (made calls to them)?
    what if you have one automated script that covers more than one manual script?

NoUse4aName,
    Absolutely they go together for they are only 1 test. The manual steps are the documentation for the automated script to accomplish that test scenario.
    Where do you keep the reusable actions? how to distinguish the manual Designer name from the automated one?
    in your approach you have to add many customized QC fields in order to capture the automation parameters.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The manual test plans are in a subfolder called 'manual', the folders inside manual are named the same as the automated ones. The individual tests are named the same for both manual and automated.

How do I link the reuseable actions in QC? I don't think you can, they reside on the user's local drive, along with any data files they need. I would love to find a way to store them in QC.

I don't have any automated scripts that cover more than one manual test plan. That would be a bad practice IMO.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

Where do you keep the reusable actions? how to distinguish the manual Designer name from the automated one?
    in your approach you have to add many customized QC fields in order to capture the automation parameters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I utilize the built in design step params(called test params). No custom fields. My reusable actions are just function libraries I keep on a network drive.

As far as designer, the person who writes the manual steps is the designer. Automation is just an implementation of that design.

So our workflow is as follows:
    Manual tester designs the test cases. Per our framework all steps must be contained in a called procedure(which eventually maps to function library). So the manual designer calls existing or writes new procedures as necessary. When a new/modified procedure's design is complete it is turned over to automation to script. When automation is finished they mark it as automated and complete in QC.

If there were no new procedures created, there is no work for automation, all that is needed is the distribution of the driver script to the test in QC which is a push button operation.

With that framework I'm able to maintain the automation for 13 different sites/applications by myself with an offshore resources to call on for major redesigns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast