Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Action Parameters - passing an Object

hi folks, to improve my QTP test script i'd like to pass Objects between Actions, however QTP seems to restrict parameters to simple types like String, Bool etc, but not Object type.

Is there any way around this? i guess i could use Functions instead of Actions, is this the commonly used workaround ?

any suggestions would be very welcome.

thanks,
    john.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Action Parameters - passing an Object

I use functions exclusively because they perform so much better than actions(lower overhead).

But you could always pass an object as a string and reconstruct it with descriptive programming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah the best way is to use functions if you can.

If you have to use Actions and share objects between actions then use "GlobalDictionary". I use this if i have to use actions and share "objects".

QTP Help:

To use the Dictionary object, you must first add a reserved object to the registry (in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest\ReservedObjects\) with ProgID = "Scripting.Dictionary". For example:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest\ReservedObjects\GlobalDiction ary

After you have added the reserved Dictionary object to the registry and restarted QuickTest, you can add and remove values to the Dictionary in one action and retrieve the values in another action from the same test.

For example, if you want to access the departure date set in the SelectFlight action from the PurchaseTickets action, you can add the value of the DepartDate WebEdit object to the dictionary in the SelectFlight action as follows:

GlobalDictionary.RemoveAll

GlobalDictionary.Add "DateCheck", DepartDate

Then you can retrieve the date from the PurchaseTickets action as follows:

Dim CompareDate

CompareDate=GlobalDictionary("DateCheck")

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Here is a thread that describes a hack for passing an object <u>reference</u> (objects can't be passed in vbScript, only references) to a called Action:

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post363305

In this manner the calling and the called Actions share a common data structure of arbitrary complexity and member count to interface with each other.

You could have found this posting with a simple search of the forum.