Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

building a object dynamically in QTP

I am trying to build a browser object so that I can check differnt properties of the object for many different types. The problem is that when I start to build the borwser object I get errors because what appears to be an issue with instantiation and the object at runtime.

This works:

editObj - the object I am looking for on the page.

Browser("Desktop Application").Page("Main Page").WebElement(editObj).CheckProperty("innertex t", micRegExpMatch(regX))

I want to be able to pass in the WebElement or object type and its name like this:

pageObject = WebElement "(" + editObj + ")"

Browser("Desktop Application").Page("Main Page").pageObject.CheckProperty("innertext", micRegExpMatch(regX))

The problem is that I get a Expected end of statment because pageObject looks like a string. I need to instantiate a WebElement I believe and then pass in the name attribute editObj. I don't know how to do this currently and could use some help.

The big win for this implementation would mean than I can take any object and check them on the fly. Any help would be great and if you have an alternative that would be great too.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: building a object dynamically in QTP

You could try looking at the code of my DP script generator:

http://www.intellipro.co.uk/auto/GenDpV15.htm

The way it identifies the objects could help with your problem.
    For an easy to use test automation framework, checkout my website:

http://www.atomqa.com

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: building a object dynamically in QTP

Hi,
    Here is the answer

execute("Browser(""Desktop Application"").Page(""Main Page"").WebElement(""&editObj &"").CheckProperty(""innertext"", micRegExpMatch(regX))")

I haven't tried this..but I am sure that you need to use execute function and make sure that when string gets evaluated object name should be quoted.