Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

weird data table issue

i'm noticing that on the data table (global, local or imported) that i can't enter values in columns unless the column to the left is also populated. for example, if i enter a value in column A, then i can put a value in column B. however, i can't then jump to column D and put a value there. i can set focus to column D, but there's no response to typing on the keyboard. if i go back and populate column C, then i can also put a value in column D.

if this normal/expected in QTP? i'm using 9.5. if not, any ideas why i'm seeing this behavior?

glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: weird data table issue

That's what mine does. Why would you need/want a blank column?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i want to use the datatables to drive all test automation where a generic populate routine exists for each dialog based on the datatable. there will be a template datatable that contains all the input controls for a given dialog as column headers. then, when creating a new test case that involves that dialog, the appropriate datasheet is imported and populated with whatever needs to be done for that test script. the generic populate routine skips any columns not populated.

i can always add the data external to QTP using excel, but it would have been nice to simply do it through QTP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You would get an error even if you go and try to check a blank column. QTP does not like blank cells.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

and this happens on all versions of QTP