I recently began having issues where my re-usuable actions will vanish from my test flow. I have designed my tests to be extremely modular, broken up across multiple actions. Due to the nature of the App I'm testing, I broke these actions into two seperate QTP test. These actions were then called from a third (master) QTP Test which controlled the entire test flow from a spreadsheet (Data Driven).
My actions began disappearing from the test flow frame. The files for the action located in the Action# folder still remained and the calls within the QTP script still remained as well. Once more the actions did not report as a missing resource. They just simply did not appear in the test flow. I've found this to be extremely random and hard to repeat. It seems they just fail to be loaded when loading a test. If I closed QTP and re-opened it along with the test sometimes they re-appear.
If I add another action with the same name, Magically the action re-appears in the test flow, however, it is actually just the new action listed twice. The only way to get back the action I've found is to hope QTP re-loads it, or to copy the code out of the MTS File and re-create the action.
When linking actions across tests, I've found that not all actions are listed in the Action Drop Down List. All of the actions are re-usuable. I found that if trying to call an action from within the same test works fine, however, when trying to call the action from an external test not all the actions are listed.
If anyone has any insight to what might be causing this any help would be appreciated.
I've had this problem. I found it occurs when Test.tsp gets out of shape. There are 2 of us working on a project and using SVN. We weren't checking in the Test.tsp file every time we created new actions, so QTP didn't know all the actions on all the machines. It caused both the disappearing issues and the not avilable in drop down issue.
Now we keep 5-10 blank actions available for use. When more are needed, we bring down a fresh copy and add new actions checking in the test.tsp file as well. PAIN.
When this happened the first time the only way I could fix it was by literally creating a new test flow. I started a new project, renamed and copied the expected code into the appropriate folder and saved everything. Not sure if this extreme was necessary but it solve the problem. I couldn't think of any other way. We had around 30 actions when this occurred and now have close to 60, I wouldn't want to go through it again!