Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Set Value of \'Random\' Text Fields

I'm very new to QTP and a search didn't seem to bring up what I was seeking.

I have a need to create a test that sets the value of 3 'random' text fields on a page. When a user accesses the site, a security page may appear that asks the user to enter some pre-defined answers to some security questions. 3 text fields are always present. The 3 text fields appear randomly, but are always from the same set of 8 questions. The text fields are always named the same depending on the question asked; so, for example, if we ask "What high school did you attend?" the value of the text field is answer7...and so on and so forth.

Here are 2 scenarios:

1. User A enters the site and gets 3 questions:
    Mother's Maiden Name (answer2)
    High School Attended (answer7)
    First car driven (answer1)

2. UserB enters the site and gets 3 questions:
    Mother's Maiden Name (answer2)
    Favorite color (answer8)
    Middle Name (answer3)

Things I have completed thus far:
    1. set up a conditional -- page doesn't always appear
    2. added data values in the test worksheet for each answer (C through J)

If True Then
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer1").Set DataTable("J", dtLocalSheet)
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer2").Set DataTable("H", dtLocalSheet)
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer3").Set DataTable("F", dtLocalSheet)
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer4").Set DataTable("G", dtLocalSheet)
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer5").Set DataTable("E", dtLocalSheet)
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer6").Set DataTable("C", dtLocalSheet)
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer7").Set DataTable("I", dtLocalSheet)
    Browser("Special Authentication").Page("Special Authentication").WebEdit("answer8").Set DataTable("D", dtLocalSheet)
    End If

Has any one done this sort of thing before that would be willing to provide me with sample actions (expert mode or otherwise)? Or perhaps a discussion on the best kind of looping for this sort of thing...

I'm using QuickTest Pro 8.2.

Thanks,
    Eve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Set Value of \'Random\' Text Fields

My 2 cents:

As you do not know what kind of questions you are going to get, it is better to use conditional statement for each of the questions and set them.