Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Recovery approach - can\'t decide

Hello, I've been searching this board for a few days now and got totally confused. I'm currently using "If Then" logic to trap the expected error messages (application is Java thick client). However, the problem appears during the execution of the Smoke test when application starts giving unexpected error messages. Some of them are fatal and require exiting from the script, others are recoverable meaning the script can continue once error is removed (click OK). I'm contemplating to use the Recovery Manager and want to create the .vbs file which would have function handling different errors depending on the label or partial text of the error message. I would then call this file from Recovery Manager (or is there a better way to get to it on error?) Has anyone done something similar to it? Is this an easiest and efficient way? I'm not a big expert in VB script, so writing complicating function will be difficult. An example of such a function and how to call .vbs file is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Recovery approach - can\'t decide

I am telling you before hand ... don't use more than a couple of recovery scenarios. They are not 100% reliable and will make the execution slow. Try to use as much regular expressions as possible, both in your .vbs file and while creating a recovery scenario.

Cheers!
    Kapil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can use if statemets to capture the inner text of the message boxs and according to the message box displayed you can give the recovery scenarios, either to close the box by clicking on the dialogue box and continuing with the rest of the flows or loging off the application and exiting. Using recovery scenarios with if else is better and more precise and reliable rather than using the wizard which will execute for all the steps and make your scripts slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I use Recovery Scenario with Function call to deal with unexpected pop up (error message).

My application generates all Unexpected Pop Up with Native Class = #32770.

I use to look for each existing pop up window with this native class. If one is found depending on the window title actions can be performed. You can also inculde code to take screen shots of all unexpeted error.

Here is the code I use in my script.

Function RecoveryFunction1(Object)
    nat = object.GetRoProperty("nativeClass")
    If nat = "#32770" Then
    On error resume next
    object.highlight
    takePicture(object)
    object.close
    On Error Goto 0
    Else
    End If
    End Function

Public Function takePicture(obj)
    On error resume next
    Set oWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    oWord.documents.open "c:\Error.doc"

Set oDoc = oWord.ActiveDocument

obj.CaptureBitmap "c:\Result\temp1.bmp", True

pic = "c:\Result\temp1.bmp"

Set oRange = oDoc.content

oRange.ParagraphFormat.Alignment = 0

oRange.insertafter vbcrlf '& " " & vbcrlf

oRange.collapse(0)

oRange.InlineShapes.AddPicture pic, False, True

oWord.ActiveDocument.Save

oWord.Application.Quit True

Set oRange = Nothing