Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Object is not Recognized in different environment

This is a very important question I wanted to ask which will effect the evaluation of QTP for Continuous Integration (CI).

We designed several comparison tests and using different tool we implement these tests for our evaluation. QTP is the leading right now based on its robustness among the tests compared to the other tools.

But I caught one defect where elements defined in one of the popup window object repository, are not found when I move the test to another server. (The machine is the CI server actually.)

After I redefine the object repository through QTP running on the CI server, the issue is resolved in the CI server.
    It is very strange then after I move the test back to the original workstation it was written, this time the workstation could not find the elements in that popup window and fail the test.

It looks like there might be some enviromental factors between the objects defined in different servers.
    However the path, the script and everthing looks the same from developer standpoint.

I wrote the test in different ways through recorder or step by step using object explorer, or thorugh vb script with run time objects. I am seeing the same issue BUT ONLY for that popup window,

We have totally four tests, the complexity of these tests are high, QTP is performing VERY WELL, but only this issue rises a question. It is very strange, in the future when a developer writes a test on its workstation, there might be a possiblity that the an element may not be recognized on the CI server.

I'd appreciate if you can reply me at your earliest convenience, thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Object is not Recognized in different environment

[ QUOTE ]
    This is a very important question I wanted to ask which will effect the evaluation of QTP for Continuous Integration (CI).

We designed several comparison tests and using different tool we implement these tests for our evaluation. QTP is the leading right now based on its robustness among the tests compared to the other tools.

But I caught one defect where elements defined in one of the popup window obje <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font> ct repository, are not found when I move the test to another server. (The machine is the CI server actually.)

After I redefine the object repository through QTP running on the CI server, the issue is resolved in the CI server.
    It is very strange then after I move the test back to the original workstation it was written, this time the workstation could not find the elements in that popup window and fail the test.

It looks like there might be some enviromental factors between the objects defined in different servers.
    However the path, the script and everthing looks the same from developer standpoint.

I wrote the test in different ways through recorder or step by step using object explorer, or thorugh vb script with run time objects. I am seeing the same issue BUT ONLY for that popup window,

We have totally four tests, the complexity of these tests are high, QTP is performing VERY WELL, but only this issue rises a question. It is very strange, in the future when a developer writes a test on its workstation, there might be a possiblity that the an element may not be recognized on the CI server.

I'd appreciate if you can reply me at your earliest convenience, thank you very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am thinking using regex (regular expression) for that pop window object might help (if the pop window has different title (or) is different in any of the properties in another environment)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok looks like the issue is not the elements with in the object but the object itself:

Here is the error I am getting for that specific popup window

"
    Can not find [element ID] object's parent [popuo title] class (Window). Verify that parent properties match an object currently displayed in your application.
    "

This is very strange it should match the window currently displayed but it is NOT, Can you briefly explain the regex way of defining these objects?

Thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lets say you have the pop up window title in one environment:

Test Window - abc

and in another environment

Test Window - def

In this case you can change the title in the OR to
    Test Window - \w*

Here you are using regular expression to avoid object recognition issues..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There is a problem with this method,
    When you apply regular expressions to your object's attributes like

Browser("title:=Test Window - \w*")

You got inconsistent exceptions from QTP based on that your object in the depositories are not defined.

There is a big problem with that, with this way I got different errors when I go to through the elements of the popup window.

The object is recognized but when you try to manipulate the elements it gives you the error:

"Elements parent (class Browser OR class Window) can not be found....."

I am not sure I am doing it right will we use run time objects when we use regular expressions? With object repositories you can not use regular expressions on Browser and Pages that easily its breaking based on this Element's parent issue.