Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

DP Limitations !

Friends,
    While working on my Application I was getting a runtime error which QTP was not able describes and it was eating my good amount of time, related to object identification using DP.
    I was trying to click on the Link but QTP was not able to find it out. But it was working if I was writing inline description but not working in case of Description.Create. Everything was fine, thought it was Not identifying the object but after a long while and several R&D I made it work and thought I found the issue. By mistake I have written micClass As “link” (case sensitive) and it should be “Link”.
    Keeping in mind VBscript is not case sensitive I tried other stuffs as well and found it’s not strict.
    For e.g. micclass always requires “Case sensitive”, all other properties takes “non-case sensitive”.
    While working with DP I also noticed that explicitly designing objects sometime failed to be recognized but inline written code works perfect.

But my joy doesn’t last for long, and some alternate runs was not actually finding out the object, I conclude it is nothing much with the syntax, but with memory leak. Yes I confirmed, as like QTP 9.0 (bug-full release) even QTP 9.5 is not stable. And HP needs to look into the matter by keeping it higher priority.

1) DP is case sensitive
    2) DP parents always require DP child but in case of OR parents can also work with DP child.
    3) DP is time consuming No auto complete is for DP (9.5 is having Drag and drop functionality to write code faster)
    4) DP is unstable (I bet as I have live example)
    5) DP is Non GUI so maintaining DP is pain and increase Code size (line numbers)
    6) DP modification is pain (OR modification automatically reflects in the Code and Update it)

Hey there may be some other Limitation also which can be posted here so people can analyze there approach first, before starting with there framework development.

I will come up with new thread called “DP Advantages” in sometime

Hope this will help!
    Thanks,
    Manish Bansal

Checkout Blog Page At
    http://www.softtechlabs.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: DP Limitations !

[ QUOTE ]
    1) DP is case sensitive

[/ QUOTE ]
    There is nothing new in what you've mentioned. It has already been understood that the Property names are case sensitive. And its not ok to blame QTP for it since it is something beyond its horizons.

[ QUOTE ]
    2) DP parents always require DP chilled but in case of OR parents can also work with DP child.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Please note that it is 'Child' and NOT 'Chilled' [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Even this is already mentioned in the QTP help file if I am not wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
    3) DP is time consuming No auto complete is for DP (9.5 is having Drag and drop functionality to write code faster)

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is definately something which HP can implement in later versions of QTP.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Please post your code so that even we can see whats wrong with it.

[ QUOTE ]
    5) DP is Non GUI so maintaining DP is pain and increase Code size (line numbers)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well if you need GUI, then you are free to use the OR in QTP!!, isnt it?

[ QUOTE ]
    6) DP modification is pain (OR modification automatically reflects in the Code and Update it)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Again I am not sure what you mean by this? Please elaborate.
    Roshan
    ----------
    The Impossible just takes a little longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can store your DP-part always into a function library. then you have only one single place to change all your DP objects...
    http://qcmt.pc-polis.de

de omnibus dubitandum

For all Questions: Please be sure to take a look at the QTP Manual before posting any Questions, thanks for doing this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree with these points. There are definitely pros and cons with DP vs QTP OR, and there are factors to be considered when deciding upon which to use in a framework, but I wouldn't say that any of these are valid arguments for or against

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    2) DP parents always require DP chilled but in case of OR parents can also work with DP child.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Even this is already mentioned in the QTP help file if I am not wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I doubt you are wrong, I Please mention where in QTP help?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well if you need GUI, then you are free to use the OR in QTP!!, isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am sure purpose of using DP is different then OR, so using OR in place of DP does not actually solves the issue.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Please post your code so that even we can see whats wrong with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have experienced this in a wide scope framework which I am developing for a ERP (webbased) product and posting the code would be difficult for me as breaching the company policy but defiantly I will imitated the same scenario by regenerative this problem and post a demo script as a support.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Again I am not sure what you mean by this? Please elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Try changing the anything in your OR it will automatically update your code (if Checked in Tools > Autoupdate if rename component), but changing in DP’s object Name we needs to manually change its reference.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Please note that it is 'Child' and NOT 'Chilled'

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks mate! I have modified ! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks,
    Manish Bansal

Checkout Blog Page At

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

I doubt you are wrong, I Please mention where in QTP help?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please see the attachment, that should clear your doubts. And from next time please read the QTP help file thoroughly before posting anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roshan
    ----------
    The Impossible just takes a little longer.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Please see the attachment, that should clear your doubts. And from next time please read the QTP help file thoroughly before posting anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

The discussion is not about whether it is placed there in the help or not, the topic is figuring out Limitation so it will help users to understand its pros and cons before starting project with DP.
    Thanks,
    Manish Bansal

Checkout Blog Page At

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The discussion is not about whether it is placed there in the help or not, the topic is figuring out Limitation so it will help users to understand its pros and cons before starting project with DP.

[/ QUOTE ]

this "limitation" is a logical limitation, because you cannot use objects stored in your OR "under" objects described via DP. DP objects are always independend from OR and could be never located in a hierarchy above OR-objects
    http://qcmt.pc-polis.de

de omnibus dubitandum

For all Questions: Please be sure to take a look at the QTP Manual before posting any Questions, thanks for doing this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Try changing the anything in your OR it will automatically update your code (if Checked in Tools > Autoupdate if rename component), but changing in DP’s object Name we needs to manually change its reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

In what scenario do you need to change the object name? if you want to use DP, then your framework has to be built around it.

For example, I have one OR.vbs library per screen which contains the DP statements, then one function per screen. The scripts reference the functions rather than the objects directly. Therefore if you had a real need to change the object name, then you would only have to change it in the function

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Manish have you considered that perhaps your framework is a contributing factor.

Personally I would doubt we could have developed our QTP Framework without DP.

Mark Smith.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast