HP BPT accelerator for Oracle ...
I am not sure if this is correct forum to post this question ...
Any one out there who has worked or seen BPT Accelerator for Oracle e Biz suite ..?
I am doing some study on this product and would like to get some "practical" experiences of people who have used it ....
I am specifically interested in knowing.....
1. Level of QTP expertise required (some datasheets and HP white paper not even mention QTP) ...
2. It is claimed that with the accelerator everything comes pre-built (BPT tests, QTP application areas) so there is no need for any QTP or technical person to maintain these scripts. How far this is true?
3.Are there any automation solutions where QTP is not required to be installed on the machine but QTP based tests can be run ... say from Quality center?
4. How far the non technical automation can be successful? who will maintain Object repository, update scripts etc?
Please let me know if you heard or did some study on this topic?
Re: HP BPT accelerator for Oracle ...
The Accelerator product/service was purchased before I joined my company. I'll try to answer your questions.
1 & 2. Training for the Oracle SME and QTP Automator was provided. A large number of BPT components were provided that allow us to make our tests run from the data sheets. A large number of custom functions are provided. This is very helpful to handle working with the app.
3. Our scripts are processed with QTP
4. Someone with QTP knowledge is required to update functions, repositories, and more non-app things. The SME can build the test case and update components.
Overall I am pleased with the product. We're only maintaining one QC project and using regular expressions to handle ojects that might be customized.
Hope this helps.
Re: HP BPT accelerator for Oracle ...
Thanks for the inputs.. Few followup questions ... it would be great if you can answer them ...
1. Another thing I wanted to check is when you buy Accelerator, you will have access to underlying to QTP code right? or that code will be given as Black Box and any fixes required for the code will be "maintenance" work and will need to be done by TK people ?
2. Can you share some thoughts about configuration and customization that you were required to make ? I belive base product (pre-built) test cases come some some base oracle app screens considered ... so, depending upon the customizations that your oracle instance has -- the turnkey package needs to be customized right? what level of effort did you spend on this?
3. I am particularly interested in know about the day-today issues and pains that automation user go thorugh ... as Oracle APP is a complex software (you can see some threads here where QTP fails recognize the objects, oracle stops working after QTP installation, JInitiator issues..)so ... if you add QTP on it and QC/BPT ... with so many layers of software .. What level for continuous support is required for automation users (Technical and non tech)....?
That would be a crucial decision that one needs to consider when buying accelerator ...
4. How about using and operating ( like a day in the life of a automation user in a BPT environment!!)
>>>>We're only maintaining one QC project and using regular expressions to handle ojects that might be customized.
I assume that when you say "we" - you are reffering to Automation users... people who use Automation as seen from QC and execute automation scripts... Most of the times you are not so concerned about code behind QC .. and when you hit a QTP problem you would help from people who can get into code ... Am I right?
As I see it, in any Accelerator/BPT environment ... we would have two groups of people.
Automation users - Who play around with QC-BPT - creating new tests and executing them ....Changing the data in excel etc ... All looks like a dream untill QTP gives some error behind the screens ... The error could be due to synchronization, some change in AUT(oracle App), some data issue, error handling, some patch applied to any software component, browser, OS, oracle, Java, JInitiator ....Or simply "unexplainable" behavior of QTP on a given day.. Then all heavens break down ... the automation users start sending SOS calls to "Automation Designers/Implementors" ... who would then investigate the failure and fix the QTP code, upload "Application Area" code to QC and everything is BACK to life ...
Did you face as Automation user, any of such QTP issues that required special help... How often ...Will managing things from QC (with QTP at background) make things any better?
Techical users/Automation designers -- this group of people are the ones who will "on the call" for any QTP issues from the "battle ground - Testing area". In addition to addressing operational issues on day to day basis, these folks also need to develop new pre-built functions, new application areas, regular updates QTP code according to changing AUT landscape ...
So ... BPT/accelerator - makes the life easier for the first group ... Life will not change for the second group where their pains with QTP and automation in general will continue ... Right .. With or without BPT ... they still need to solve regular QTP code issues.
Any insights into this will be highly appreciated
Re: HP BPT
I have one query about BPT:
Can we import test data during execution in BPT ?
Re: HP BPT
No you can't if you are using normal iterations but if you are using general coding stuff then you can always do that
Turnkey Oracle Accellerator
Digging up the dead here, but our company just purchased this tool. I just want to get a more up-to-date review from those here on what they think of the version they have that works with QTP 9.5/QC 9.2 and Oracle R11i.
Before we deploy this out, just want to see if there are any that have encountered pitfalls with the tool.
I know this may sound very general, but I am looking for anything that may save me hours of pain and suffering with the rollout.