Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Passing a value from QTP Test to QTP Test via QC

I have a series of tests that are stored in QC and executed serially on separate machines. IE:

Test1 - run on machine A
    Test2 - run on machine B
    Test3 - run on machine C
    Test4 - run on machine A
    etc..

When Test1 completes, I need to have a value from that test passed to Test2, and I am not sure how to do it. These machines do not have access to a common share (don't ask) so using a file as an intermediary is not an option.

I have previously worked in a show where QC had a field of some sort that had the user select a value which was then passed to the QTP Script. I don't remember how any of that worked or where I would get information about it.

So what I need help with is:

1) How do I create (or find an existing) field in my QC Test set?
    2) How do I set the value in my QTP Script?
    3) How do I read the value in my QTP Script?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Passing a value from QTP Test to QTP Test via

You want to pass the value through memory only or store it also?

Why don't you run test on the same machine when sequential execution or passing for information is required?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I need to store the value, or at least would like to. I would like to put the value into Quality Center. Then one machine can put it there, and the second machine can retrieve it there, as QC is the common denominator.

The machines are on a private physical LAN, with the firewalls bolted down tightly. It took a lot just to let QTP/QC work on these machines. So from a political sense, I cannot just open up a file, drop what I need into the file from machine one, and then open it on the next.

As far as using the same machine, well, the machines are proprietary, and have peripherals attached to them that are the basis of the software we are testing. So Machine 1 has device X, Y, and Z attached, and Machine 2 has device A, B, and C attached. Our software ties together the functionality of all the devices that are attached and allows one machine to control the other. Common testing scenario's are "press button X on Machine 1, check state on Machine 2". With QC/QTP I can run a test to press the button on Machine 1, and I can run a seperate test to check state on Machine 2. Granted, this is an oversimplification of the scenario.

What I need to do is have Machine 1 be able to pass to Machine 2 what the expected state happens to be. If I can have Machine 1 put a string into a field on QC, I should be able to have Machine 2 go get it. I just don't know how to get either machine to talk directly to QC to pull this off.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This can help in your scenario

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post499399

But the wait time for it to be out might not help you.

As of now you can use QCUtil.CurrentTestSetTest object and update in field in the test and then communicate to the other test.