Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Text recognition on Windows Vista with WinRunner 9

Hi All,

I got some problem about text recognition on Windows Vista. It seems I cannot get anything from any application. Actually,I tried to get the return text message from PuTTy screen (telnet tool).

I already tried many ways that I think it should cause of the problem as listed below

- Disable DEP permanently on windows Vista
    - Use Font expert to learn font on Windows vista
    - Edit XR_TEXT_RECOGNITION to 1,2,3
    - Change nt_tr.exe to run as WindowsXP with Administrator permission

But still got the same problem. I'm using WinRunner 9.2.
    My script is working very well with WinRunner 9.2 on Windows XP and 2000 before

Can someone help ?

Thanks,
    Eak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Text recognition on Windows Vista with WinRunner 9

The WinRunner Readme file has a section about Vista text recognition. Have you run through all those options?

Based you your entries, you probably have, but I thought I'd mention it. You didn't mention if you've switched themes in Vista, but try using the classic windows theme.
    Boyd Patterson
    Patterson Consulting, LLC
    www.patterson-consulting.net

[i]Creator of Test Design Studio - Powerful IDE for QuickTest Pro[i]

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Putty has an option to log all console input / output to a text file. I reccomend using this option and reading the result with file_ functions. Much more reliable than text recognition, and doesn't depend on the output of a command being able to fit inside the putty window without scrolling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Patterson,

I already tried to set XR_TEXT_RECOGNITIONMODE to 3 follwing suggestion in readme file but it is still not work.

Hi bpolitzer,

The way to redirect text to the text file then use WinRunner to read on the return message from the text file is quite slow and cannot acceptable in my test.

Do you have other solution?

Thanks,
    Eak

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    try using the classic windows theme.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did you try?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Already tried

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Text recognition on Windows Vista with WinRunn

I have also encountered problem recognizing text on Vista. The same scripts work great on XP.
    KB article KM195541 on HP site could be useful. I have pasted the info here in case you can't access it yourself. Hope it proves helpful.

WR text recongition problem - http://support.openview.hp.com/selfs...ument/KM195541

This disclimer says it all -
    Important Note:
    The Text Recognition mechanism is only supported for backward compatibility reasons, and there is no guarantee that this functionality will work or work reliably. The mechanism is provided as is.

The Text Recognition mechanism affects the following methods and functionality (note that there may be others as well):

Functions ending with _get_text (for example, obj_get_text, win_get_text, edit_get_text, etc.)
    Functions ending with _check_text (for example, edit_check_text, win_check_text, obj_check_text, etc.)
    Functions ending with _get_info with the "text" property (for example, obj_get_info("edit", "text", txt)
    Functions ending with _find_text ( for example, obj_find_text or win_find_text )
    Functions ending with _move_locator_text ( for example, obj_move_locator_text )
    Functions ending with _click_on_text ( for example, obj_click_on_text )
    Functions entered using Insert -> Get Text -> From Screen Area and Insert -> Get Text -> From Object/Window

Alternative methods for retrieving text:
    1. Use *_get_info with the "value" (or equivalent) property to retrieve the text. Do not use the "text" property. Use the GUI Spy to view the available properties (listed on the "All Standard" tab). If you see a property that has the text you need, use that property in the *_get_info method.

Example:
    edit_get_info ("Name:", "value", name);

2. Use a function specific to the control class to get the text. WinRunner provides some class specific functions (edit_*, list_*, etc.) for use in your script. If the *_get_info functions from the above suggestion do not capture the text you need, try using a function that was written for the object class of your control.

(Refer the KB for more alternatives including some wacky ones like - Copy the text to the system clipboard, then retrieve it from there)

Cheers.