Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Migration

Hi,

Is there any strategy or the procedure to migrate Winrunner/ QTP scripts to IBM tools.

Thnx
    set_window

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Migration

I would say it is the same strategy as any conversion.

<ul type="square">[*]Document what you have[*]Reproduce/code in the new tool[*]Compare results.[/list]
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The quick and dirty approach to getting PART way there is to install both tools, then run the old one in playback and the new one in record. It won't do your conversion for you, but it might give you a starting point.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,

Is there any strategy or the procedure to migrate Winrunner/ QTP scripts to IBM tools.

Thnx
    set_window

[/ QUOTE ]Hello, set_window . I'm glad you're still with us, but am saddened by the switch to Big Blue. Will you change your handle to the Robot equivalent? May I ask why you decided to switch?

[ QUOTE ]
    The quick and dirty approach to getting PART way there is to install both tools, then run the old one in playback and the new one in record. It won't do your conversion for you, but it might give you a starting point.

[/ QUOTE ]That is a very interesting idea, Peter, but my skeptical spider sense is tingling. In most tools (including WinRunner), the record and playback hooks are different. Record listens for one windows message, while playback sends a different. If you were using a graphical automation tool like eggplant, however, it might just work. Of course all the functions, libraries and data driven code would have to be re-written.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As a said, it MIGHT give you a good STARTING point. But it might not! Still, I'm not sure I understand the relevance to hooks. While tool A (playback) is running the AUT, tool B (record) theoretically doesn't know a human isn't running it. So it will record as if it were human-operated.

I don't claim any credit for the suggestion - it's been kicking around for a long time (apparently most often for people who ask about migrating from WR to QTP.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What was that song by the Beach Boys? Good Migrations??

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Still, I'm not sure I understand the relevance to hooks. While tool A (playback) is running the AUT, tool B (record) theoretically doesn't know a human isn't running it. So it will record as if it were human-operated.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Take a win32 edit, for example. Pretend it were possible to have two WR instances on the same machine. During record, if the edit box has focus and it's parent window receives keyboard input, the recording WR will record an edit_set. When the playback WR executes the edit_set, however, it doesn't send keyboard input to the parent window (this would be win_type - not edit_set). The playback WR directly changes the edit's value using win32 api. This kind of direct change wouldn't be detected by the recording WR. It might work if your scripts were recorded in analog mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah. Point taken.