Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Connecting to the Oracle Database

Hi,

I wanted to connect to the Oracle Database Tables through WinRunner TSL Functions.

I'm trying to use db_connect().

I'm not sure how to create a DSN and test whether it is connecting to that server or not.

If anyone had worked on it before, please provide the script and the process of creating a DSN.

We have PL/SQL Developer. I will ue my User ID and Password and the Server Name: DIATSTAPIPA.

The Schema in this is: DORIS

So, i wanted to access: DORIS.PROF_SVC_CLAIM table.

Please help me as soon as possible. I'm trying my level best to resolve this asap.

Thanks,
    Madhu
    Madhu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Connecting to the Oracle Database

I don't have access to my old code, so I can't give you an example, but it is not very complicated if you use the documentation. As far as checking to make sure it connected, just test the return code from the db_connect().

And - please do not attempt to raise the importance of your question by the use of "asap." EVERYONE's problem is important, but we are all unpaid volunteers, and we are not motivated by your schedule (or lack of one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

creating a DSN can be done via the OS controls and not truely within WinRunner. You can create this, and test the connection outside of WinRunner, then just bring it to WinRunner as needed.

From that point, just follow Peter's advice and perform a simple SQL statment on th edatabase connection and evaluate the return code. If you get E_OK, then you are set. Other than that it may all fall into how you consruct your queries to ensure the information you obtain is what you expect.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. And, sorry for saying 'asap'.

Since, i'm under pressure, i had added that to my query.

I'm able to connect to the database using the following process.

Initially I have created a new User DSN seperately by going through Administrative Tools and ODBC Connections.

Then, i have created a RuntimeDatabaseCheckpoint, it had given me the exact DSN that i have to use. Then, i have copied that to the db_connect's connection string and i'm successful.

Thank you all again......
    Madhu
    Madhu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You're welcome, Madhu. And apology accepted - just understand that your pressure isn't ours.