Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why do we need a Test Automation Framework?

Hi Friends,

I want to know what is Test Automation Framework?
    How it is useful for testing?

Actually i have gone throught he forum for the above question. But i dont get the answers. If any one of you knows please give me reply.

Regards,
    Hari Duddu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Why do we need a Test Automation Framework?

Hari,

Try this forum:

http://www.sqaforums.com/postlist.ph...mp;Board=UBB34
    (Automated Testing)

This topic has been bandied about, tossed, flipped, skewered, sizzled, chiseled, carved up, spirtled, rotated, cussed, and discussed to the point where people are asking for mercy or exit-Earth Visas! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] However, to so often hear about this is still far better than hearing the voice of my avatar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually you maybe just didn't go thorugh the forum hard enough [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This thread is only a few threads from the top below what you have posted. The link I posted within will give you an idea of what a framework can be.

Now for as to why - you don't need one. You produce some type of result without using one, but it makes what you need to do easier, so it is always recommended to investigate.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    but it makes what you need to do easier,

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would say that might be open to debate, Tony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    but it makes what you need to do easier,

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would say that might be open to debate, Tony.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, let's see if I can reword it.....

"If done correctly, it makes what you need to do easier."

That better? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'll accept that (grudgingly) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First this is NOT an answer to your post but an explination as to why Test Automation Frameworks emerge. These waters are DEEP gunslinger and the idea that you could read two or three paragraphs on this subject, and "get it" is a Joke. Here goes:

This one has always kind of bothered me. I first heard it myself about 7 years ago, in referance to what I had already done unknowingly.

Basically Winrunner, Silk, Robot and any other tool set to automate an Application at the Gui Level are Generic solutions. Any company I have ever worked for (and that is way too many) have had unique needs for testing, requiring thier own test system with a "design".

As soon as you create extesible reusable functions, Classes, test suites that are data driven .. and used by a QA staff you are on the path to a test harness.
    It's like binding all the possibilities of the tool to your organization's needs. In fact it starts by picking the test tools you will use to test your System Under Test.

<large run on sentance alert>
    However having said that most often after taking the System Under test into account (and it specifications if they exist ha), and designing a reusable system of Test Suites, employing Libraries and test data .. you mess up once or twice.
    </large run on sentance alert>

You will probably have to redesign down the road. Esp if the System Under Test changes dramatically (you will know everything you had breaks).

I really write this more for myself than you. I strongly suggest you read the links that were pointed out to you .. I could be a mad man who knows nothing about Test Automation Frameworks or Test Harnesses. (sometimes I really believe that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You are pretty much on track Rick.

The main purpose of the link I provided is to give the high level understanding as since there is no comprehension to begin with, it is always better to start with the "baby steps". It gives a general idea and they can take it from there.

Frameworks are needed for different reasons (most general), and implemented in different manners, depending on the company's needs and experience levels.