Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Adding Dynamic object to GUI map file

Hello!

using WR 8.2

I have dynamic object, each time it name changes.
    Each time i store it name in variable Name, i am trying to add this object to GUI map file.
    In this case i store Bull5493 Stam902502 in Name variable
    The Physical Description of this object should be:
    {
    class: object,
    MSW_class: html_text_link,
    html_name: "Bull5493 Stam902502"
    }

code:

if(fFindStringInWindow("Under Review Signed up Customers",Name) == E_OK)

GUI_add(Path_To_Gui_Map,"Under Review Signed up Customers",Name,"{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:"Name"}");

Where is my mistake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Adding Dynamic object to GUI map file

The format you have, you would need to have a window titled "Under Review Signed up Customers" already in the GUI map for it to add.

Also, are you sure the concatentation in the physical description part of your string is working? I know just tapping the variable in the running string works most of the time, but I am not too sure how it works in the since of a function paramter. Try it with using & to build the string instead of counting on WR to pull it together
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tony, I don't think the problem is with the concatenation.
    Notice that the html_name contains a space.
    This requires it to be enclosed in quotation marks inside the physical description:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    GUI_add(Path_To_Gui_Map,"Under Review Signed up Customers",Name,"{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:\""Name"\"}");</pre><hr />

Or, as I would prefer:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>GUI_add(Path_To_Gui_Map,"Under Review Signed up Customers",Name,"{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:\"" &amp; Name &amp; "\"}");</pre><hr />

Or, as I would really prefer:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>_set_window("Under Review Signed up Customers",5);
    web_link_click("{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:\"" &amp; Name &amp; "\"}");</pre><hr />

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tony, thanks for your response, of course i have a window titled "Under Review Signed up Customers" already in the GUI map, but like you wrote and i think the same, i have concatentation problem in GUI_add function, i just can't figure out how it should be, but i am experimenting some ideas. I already tried the following:

GUI_add(Path_To_Gui_Map,"Under Review Signed up Customers",Name,"{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:"Name" &amp; "}"&amp;");

but it still NOT working.Ok, tomorrow is a new day, will see.

thanks, best wishes and regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

bpolitzer the comparison of the frist and second code blicks you posted is what I was attempting to refer to.

I know WinRunner will most times handle not specifically using &amp; in a string concatenation, but I have seen where it won't accept within a paramter on some functions.

I think I was trying to push for more correct coding in the TSL with saying use &amp; and see how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We'll see what UriMat comes back with tomorrow
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tony:

I'm well aware that you were referring to the difference between "{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:"Name"}" and "{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:" &amp; Name &amp; "}"

What you failed to point out is the difference between "{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:"Name"}" and "{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name:\"" Name "\"}"

Without the inner quotes, and with the space inside the html_name, it definitely will be broken, even with the "&amp;" operator.

With the inner quotes, and without the "&amp;" operator it may or may not be broken.

Therefore the troubleshooting principle of Occam's razor would dictate that you try the inner quotes first, and the anpersand operator second.

That being said, I agree that the ampersand concatanation operator should always be used for good style and readability. I've never seen a case where omitting the ampersand causes a problem, but I never place myself in that situation to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Standing in the corner labeled "corrected" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

and what this tells me is 1) I need to go get my eyes checked, or 2) need to stop sitting in front of a computer 14 hours a day!

Thanks Brett - appreciate it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

bpolitzer,

This is realy, i mean realy great! Now i don't even need to add the object to GUI map file, your solution is very elegant,because i thought that each time i will need to use GUI_add and then GUI_delete functions(complex approach), but now i see how simple it is!

Thank you very much!

Best wishes and regards

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I tend to stay away from most of the GUI_ functions.
    What genius decided to name the function which gets the operating system GUI_get_name ?
    Something wrong with get_os ?