Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dynamic Objects in Web Application

Hi,

I have this situation where each time I add a new product, the product # then appears in a htmltable in the form of a hyperlink.

Now, when I try to click on this new object, WR says that it cannot find the object. In this case I cannot use regular expression bcoz, it results in more than one objects, leading to an ambiguity for WR not knowing which one to select.

Do we have other alternative to handle this ?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Dynamic Objects in Web Application

you can either reference the objet with the exact physical name, or with the inclusion of a regular expression as you have mentioned.

If you can provide examples of the descriptions of the items you are noticing them being changed each time, and other items which WInRunner can't uniquely identify if you use a REGEX, maybe we could help pinning it down, but at this moment there really isn't enough information for us to help you work around the issue. Flying blind.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yoyu could use regular expression for the 'html name' property and then add 'location' property to uniquely identify the link.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Use web obj get child item.
    For example, if the new link always appears in column1 of the last row of the table, you could do something like this:

tbl_get_rows_count("YourTable",rows_count);
    web_obj_get_child_item("YourTable",rows_count,1,"h tml_text_link",0,child);
    web_link_click(child);

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If it is embedded in a table, you are going to have to go through each cell and pull in the child item to find the link's identification information (as bpolitzer has stated).

With this, you can then act on the physical description of the item instead of relying on it being contained in the GUI Map file, which from what you have said changes each time.

This means though that you will need to come up with the pattern to determine what link that is pulled back from the table is the correct one for each cell's contents to be compared.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Main problem I am facing with the above situation is that WR is looking for this hyperlink object in GUI Map File and shows a window with the hand icon to point to the object to learn its properties.

Eventhough, I identify the location of this hyperlink in the htmltable (the position of this link is again dynamic which is based on the alphabetical order), I still would encounter the same msg that it cannot identify the object.

To overcome this, the only means to my knowledge is make WR lean this object dynamically may be with GUI_Add. I tried this, but it didn't work for me.

Any other suggestions ???

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can you get the new product number through a db query? Maybe you can do something like this:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">db_connect(&quot;query1&quot;,&quot;My ConnectString&quot;
    db_execute_query(&quot;query1&quot;,&quot;select product_num from orders where name = 'jones'&quot;,record_num);
    product_num = db_get_field_value(&quot;query1&quot;,&quot;#1&quo t;,&quot;#1&quot;
    web_link_click(&quot;{class: object,MSW_class: html_text_link,html_name: &quot; &amp; product_num &amp; &quot;}&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">