Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

limitation on the length of the line

Can you please let me know if winrunner has any limitation on the length of the line. If so, what should I do to continue the statement in the next line

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: limitation on the length of the line

have you tried to see how long you can make it before you get an error?

Have you experienced an error at this point?

what type of comand are you using?

share with us, and you'd probably see us share more with you.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am just passing the parameters (there are many, about 30) using a call_close statement. It works when I give the values with in the call_close statement whereas it generates an error 'Unterminated string' when I do the same thing datadriven.

When I run the script it generates that error. I does not generate any error if I make the line short(by passing only the required one and pasing "" for the rest). So I thought there is a limit on the length of the line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

you have two limits you might be running into.

1) length of line - I always limit to 256 characters. You can always spilt the line at a comma to go down to the next. I am not sure if there truly is a length of line per se as I haven't run into anything as yet to force that issue. Other may have.

2) number of parameters - 30!! Good grief that is probably more than you should use. I know there was a discussion a while back on this subject, so you might want to do a search on it (as you really should have done for starters as I am sure both of these items have been addressed previously).

3) undetermined string - this may be something unrelated to the string length or # of params, as long as it isn't a string that gets cut off due to the length of the line.

you might want to post the line of code you are having issues with so others can look and help out a little more in the future. Code segments are like pictures - worth a thousand words.

If you have to have the 30 parameters, I would recommend reducing what it is you pass to the function. If the information exceeds 5-7 items for my functions, I rely on loading an array (in the style of a hash) to allow the passing of a single item, but having it contain any number of items. Just sharing my experience on that one, something to consider to make it easier on you for debugging as it will 1) reduce the length of the line, 2) reduce the number of parameters to ensure are correct, and 3) make it easier for others to read the code on what is being passed.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results