Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

MSW_ID changing in VB app? ...

I am beginning to work with WR 8.2 and a VB app. I have not used WR with VB in some years and I'm not too familiar with it any longer.

When I record and then playback, the WR script is not working as the MSW_ID property is changing each time the program runs. This happens for pretty much every control encountered.

What is the best way to work around this? Do I need to tell WR to stop recording the MSW_ID property values? If so, is there a way to do this for all controls? Would I have to replace it with something else?

I haven't tinkered with GUI recording options in a while. I am loading the VB add-in too.

Any other advice?

Thanks very much in advance,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: MSW_ID changing in VB app? ...

Have you compiled in the VB addin with the application as well. I haven't worked with VB since version 6, so I am not sure if this is still needed or not. (I went back and looked at the documentation, and yes there still is a support component that needs to be compiled into the VB App for WR to work correctly)

As for the changing MSW_id - if there is enough other information being captured about the object, then it is conceivable you can remove the property from GUI consideration, that or you can use a RegEx for it's property.

Chapter 9 of the Tutorial goes into how to set the configuration of the GUI map to your needs
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Tony, it's not an in-house app, getting it compiled to my tastes is not an option. ;-(

I'll take another look at those docs, thanks!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No problem! Hope it works out for you.

Tought when you are testing thrid party applications, you are at a disadvantage from the start even in Manual testing, and even more so from an Automated testing persepective.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What the VB agent (the component compiled with your app) does is allow you to capture the VB name property associated with objects. This is a unique string which the developer assigns to every object. Without the VB name, your scripts will be very sensitive to change, because you will need to rely on such properties as x,y,width,height and index.