Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

checkpoint parameterization

Hi all,
    I want to know whether it is possible to do checkpoint parameterization in WR like QTP..
    Thilak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: checkpoint parameterization

Yup! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

how can u parameterize Mr. Jake as checkpoints are hard-coded as a text file in WR
    thilak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Take a look at it from a high-level. Files are read/written by apps. Why couldn't you re-read/rewrite them on the fly? Why couldn't you use other functions or aspects of the tool to achieve what you are after. In addition to being a test tool, WR is a development tool. The only known WR limits outside of compute resources - are human imagination and skills. Right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thx...Jake...one more thing..other than supported environments can we do all the stuffs which QTP does?..shall we do thru WR?..forget active screen, tree view...is there any drawback..plz reply me patiently..dont get tensed if my question is silly
    Thilak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Having visited my astrology-obsessed chiropractor, I am far from being tense and do feel silly.

I'm not certain of the specifics of what you seek. Check these out:

http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.p...;f=34;t=003197

You could also check with Mercury to get some product literature for both products in order to do a comparison.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've been a tried and true WinRunner user for 6 years, but due to recent market trends, have been forced to learn QTP. My overall impression was positive - QTP has many more features than WinRunner including point and click paramaterization of checkpoints and object physical descriptions. These can be done in WinRunner, but require advanced knowledge / coding techniques. If I had to reccomend a tool to a new user without any programming knowledge, I would have to pick QTP. My number one complaint is that the base language is VB script, which I don't know (They should have used C!!). QTP requires less knowledge of the base language, however, because most of the point and click features actually work!